Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > RTAS & TDM Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2013, 11:35 AM

Default Addictive Drums RTAS instrument plugin much softer when drums are "individualized"

I record with Pro Tools MP9 in a Windows 7 SP-1 64 bit PC. The set up works well for me, but recently I ran into this problem. I found an article on the XLN Audio support page explaining how to route each drum in an Addictive Drums kit to an individual track in Pro Tools (or most other DAWs). It was simple and easy to follow, so I tried it and it works. Just create an instrument track and make Addictive Drums the plugin. In the Addictive Drums kit mixer, click "out" at the bottom of each drum you want an individual track for. Then create a like number of AUX input tracks, mono for drums and stereo for overheads, room, etc. Go into each AUX track's output, route it to Addictive Drums and the individual drum you want on that AUX track. Easy, right? However, I've discovered that the volume of each drum is much, much lower. In fact, on a snare brush sweep, it's so low that it disappears completely if any other track is played with it. And this is with velocity on the track and all volumes up all the way. I messaged XLN's support about this, but haven't received an answer. I wondered if any of you have any thoughts about this. Thanks
Old 12-03-2013, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Addictive Drums RTAS instrument plugin much softer when drums are "individualized

Hmmmm, I never noticed that on my rig. FWIW, you could also(instead) put up AUDIO tracks and actually record the drums. Then you could use Clip Gain(PT10,11) or the Audiosuite GAIN plugin to raise the level of the audio. Then again, you may just need to push up the faders on the AD mixer

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-04-2013, 08:15 AM

Default Re: Addictive Drums RTAS instrument plugin much softer when drums are "individualized

I agree, I've had no trouble with individual Addictive Drum kit pieces - but you do have to do some tweaking as mentioned to get the best sound.

Usually I only break the kit pieces down to separate tracks if I want to process them through Pro Tools' effects rather than use Addictive Drum's built-in effects.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:49 AM

Thanks to both of you. I think the issue might be with the particular AdPack I'm using, Jazz Brushes, and how it's recorded by XLN Audio. Even though I have the slider on snare, for example, up all the way in AD, it seems most of the sound for it (and all the drums including that snare brush sweep) is actually found in the overheads and room mics. If I increase volume there, the cymbals get overwhelming. I'll continue tweaking. This AdPack is new to me, and it's definitely different from their stick kits. Thanks again.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:36 PM

As said, you need to tweak it yourself. I always use AD in the box, because I've gotten good at it and not only that, it's really deep if you push it. I believe it's the best drum VI out there. I know I'm going to get in trouble. It's easy to use, sounds good and with some tweaking.........😚

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live
Old 12-05-2013, 01:34 PM

"I believe it's the best drum VI out there."

I won't argue, I agree!!!!

Pro Tools HD 2019.12 | HD Native PCIe & HD Native Thunderbolt | Lynx Aurora 16 HD | HD I/O | Digi 192 | 2010 Mac Pro 12 Core 3.46ghz | macOS Mojave 10.14.4 | 48 gigs RAM | Tascam DM3200 | Crane Song Avocet II | Antelope Isochrone OCX | Universal Audio Quad & Duo | Waves Mercury + Studio Classics v10 & Abbey Road Collection
Old 12-05-2013, 05:48 PM

Could they be throwing in a little "secret sauce" compression on the presets?
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-05-2013, 06:54 PM

Ssssshhhhh😚

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live