Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2010, 10:07 PM

Default Mixing for live venue

I'm considering doing an open mic coming up, but I don't want to play without a backing band/track. What I really want to do is pre record the backing parts, even vocal harmony, then hook it up to the PA and play.

I'm not even sure where to begin though. How am I supposed to mix for this? I'm not sure what the space will be like, or the system, but I'm assuming small and cheap, respectively.

What tips can you guys give me? Should I stay away from using homemade backing tracks live?

TY
Old 02-21-2010, 10:13 PM

Default Re: Mixing for live venue

I saw a guy doing this at a small club. He used a BOSS (I think) Loop pedal to play all his stuff that he recorded in PT. It sounded great but he had it all played out. If you can't control the playback then you'll be stuck if there is a problem. He used something like this http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RC50/
Old 02-21-2010, 10:18 PM

Default Re: Mixing for live venue

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderrocker View Post
I'm considering doing an open mic coming up, but I don't want to play without a backing band/track. What I really want to do is pre record the backing parts, even vocal harmony, then hook it up to the PA and play.

I'm not even sure where to begin though. How am I supposed to mix for this? I'm not sure what the space will be like, or the system, but I'm assuming small and cheap, respectively.

What tips can you guys give me? Should I stay away from using homemade backing tracks live?

TY
I think it would be a good idea to visit the venue and talk to whomever is running the PA or show. See what equipment they are using and plan from there.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88