Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2010, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Why is Avid releasing an obsolete product?

There is an idea I had not thought of. I think I know someone with an 003, so could see if it and Pro Tools LE would work with my machine. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:04 PM

hi guys,i am using an 8 core mac and can only adress 5 maximum 6 of them whithout a fuss to pt so why bother with higher counts of cpu´s
Old 09-15-2010, 05:12 PM

Who cares! As long as it works. The interface isn't the problem. You will rarely see any FW800 on the market. If you do, the majority of them are hard drives. Most Windows-based PCs won't even have FW800 without an add-on card. As far as the new Mac Pros, the Chipsets will most likely be the same (Intel 5520), which is really the real reason of anything working on your PC. Don't like it, don't buy or cry about it. There is other products out there. I'm more concerned about the next version of Pro Tools really, since that is the heart of the DAW.

Pro Tools 12, Sibelius First 7/Presonus Studio 192/Windows 10 Pro
Old 09-15-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet View Post
mhelm I could say the same about you. Seriously, FW400 is old. FW1600 is coming and PT is still 32bit. He has a point let him speak his mind.
Violet,

My point is based in fact. His is in speculation. I bought a Mac Pro that was qualified. He did not.

If I were to speak my mind I would say that if you have a problem with Avid software/hardware and you didn't follow the"rules" it is not the fault of Avid. It is YOUR fault*.

If he had this problem on a qualified mac then it might be easier to diagnose. For now there is a BIG unknown.

Blu2, do you have access to a 4 or 8 core mac pro? Maybe a friend? You said it was slow on your older macbook pro, but it still works right? Have you tried a firmware update, as in reload it? I'm guessing you did full install of 8.0.3. If so, did you restart your computer before the 8.0.4? I had this problem with my eleven rack. Try a fresh install of PT 8.0.3.

*unless the Avid product is defective.
Eleven Rack, Axiom 61
Old 09-15-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu2 View Post
There is an idea I had not thought of. I think I know someone with an 003, so could see if it and Pro Tools LE would work with my machine. Thanks.
Hi blu2,

I just got my 12-core MacPro last week running OSX10.6.4 & PTv8.0.4, works perfectly so far. I upgraded from a G5 & the 003 is connected via FW800 to 400 cable.
Only have 6GB in her now, waiting on 24GB to arrive this week.
Done a few VI & recording sessions between 32buffer (for audio recording) to 256 buffer size (for VI midi), have yet to try a tremendously dense mix.
Eats up VIs well but have not pushed it hard yet! Hopefully we should be getting a 64bit PT soon to really take advantage of the hardware.
This thing will hopefully fly me to the moon this weekend.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:29 PM

Blu2,

One of the biggest issues with the Mbox 2 pro may be that it's designed to be powered through the firewire bus. Even though it takes a power supply, Digi recommends it be powered through firewire.

This may be one reason the 002/003 products work better.

AND, this may be the biggest reason the new Avid Mbox Pro will not have the same problems, because it is not powered by firewire, and actually requires the power supply.

Perhaps they designed it this way precisely because of the previous problems.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Blu2,

One of the biggest issues with the Mbox 2 pro may be that it's designed to be powered through the firewire bus. Even though it takes a power supply, Digi recommends it be powered through firewire.

This may be one reason the 002/003 products work better.

AND, this may be the biggest reason the new Avid Mbox Pro will not have the same problems, because it is not powered by firewire, and actually requires the power supply.

Perhaps they designed it this way precisely because of the previous problems.
Agreed.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 09-15-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob olhsson View Post
there are lots of people running far larger sessions than that with fw-400 in hd.

The only real world advantage to fw-800 i've seen is speed in copying files unless you are talking about 30 i/o at 192k or something.
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dism View Post
fw400 is old. Usb 1.1 is old. Usb 2.0 is old. Adat is old. Aes/ebu is old. S/pdif is old... Why does it matter if it still works?
+21

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 09-15-2010, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the great input. I will try what has been suggested and time will tell.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:07 AM

"hi guys,i am using an 8 core mac and can only adress 5 maximum 6 of them whithout a fuss to pt so why bother with higher counts of cpu´s "

Some of us do other things that will benefit from the addition processing power.