Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-03-2004, 11:36 AM

Default PT HD-End of Life???

I just came from a Sam Ash dealer and while inquiring about availability of the Digi 64bit Exp Chassis(which isn't even in their computer system-real shocker there....) I noticed that the pricing on Digi gear such as HD systems and hardware such as the 192 I/O are down in price. Last time I saw this happen was.....oh, no!!!!....when Mix systems went HD!!!!!

I would call my pro dealer(which by the way, isn't Sam Ash!) but I doubt I'd get this kind of info from them.

Anyone else notice lower pricing or have I just been out of the loop. I figure these "chain-store" retailers are usually priced on the higher side because of the overall customer base. Plus I think we'd see the "HD Accel/Plug-in Bundle" thing before they EOL HD.

Any comments?
Old 09-03-2004, 12:54 PM

Default Re: PT HD-End of Life???

No, HD isn't going anywhere. They're probably just trying to generate some business.

S..

Scofield...
Old 09-03-2004, 02:39 PM

Are we talking about a lower list price ? or just what they are selling it for, can you give us a price.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:42 PM

I had to reply to this ...

this is like 'I heard John Kerry is freinds with a gay guy ... and he did wear a pink shirt ...'

Beautiful quality train of thought ...

A
Old 09-03-2004, 02:50 PM

BEDEVERE
"Exactly. So... logically..."

FIRST VILLAGER
"If she... weighs the same as a duck... she's made of wood."

BEDEVERE
"And therefore?"

ALL
"A witch!"
Old 09-03-2004, 03:43 PM

Hey, like I said, last time I saw a price dop on the TDM line at Sam Ash, which was about this time of year, four months later we have, "Introducing, PT HD.....". These TDM systems have shown a life span of about 3 years. Hasn't it been almost 2??

In any case, I hope HD sticks around for atleast a 4th year before......well, I won't go there...."I waive my private parts at you.....you wiper of other peoples bottoms!".......
Old 09-03-2004, 03:52 PM

MIX existed for four (4) years before HD started shipping (2002).

If HD was about to be EOL'd, then Moore's Law, or a variation thereof, would be applicapble to TDM systems.

Let's not kid ourselves either. Even if HD is the TDM system for the next 3 years, Digidesign is working on "the next big thing" in TDM. It's just a question of how far along it is.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:41 PM

Accel Core?
Old 09-03-2004, 07:14 PM

I don't want to look at it through rose colored glasses but there are two or three things to consider.

There are still owners holding onto Mix systems and are satisfied with them for the work they do. I strongly doubt HD users will go the the next big thing just because it is the next big thing even if it is introduced next season. Digi would shoot themselves in the foot if they introduced a new system that was incompatible w/HD.
If I have to have better quality converters I can go Apogee. Now maybe Digi will introduce some new I/Os. Maybe even along the line of high quality two channel I/Os. Maybe a PCIX card. But I would bet they will be compatible w/HD.
Digi is about to announce the next big thing in the live market and they are trying to capture a new niche for themselves. I personally believe they are trying to be the all audio solution and that is where their energy and resources are going. IMHO
Digi just acquired M-Audio. They seem to be focusing on the market for all in one pro-sumer product(s).

So maybe I am in a dream world, but I know I would not feel the need to trade up, not now. Funny thing though, the product life seems to follow the term of leases.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:08 PM

another total naive 2 cents worth:

HD had to happen when it did (so close to Mix +) due to certain technology advances on the CPU end of things. Also, HD had to happen due to serious drawbacks to the Mix level systems in comparison to Apogee and others.

Since HD many of these issues have been addressed. Therefore until you see serious inroads into HDs current stature as "right up there, or beyond the best digital systems at their price" you will not see a motivation from Digi to change the paradigm again for a while. The one exception may be at some point PCI-X versions of the DSP cards, which won't replace the current technology but will potentially allow even higher track counts and plug in usage. However, even this has to wait for some of this promised technology to actually become real. Despite existing on G5 for instance, much of the capablility of the G5 continues to be far ahead of the curve in terms of actual products. In fact, some of the choices that Apple made may not even make it in the mainstream, therefore I think it is prudent of Digi to wait a little and see.

This is why they are branching into other unaddressed markets such as the M-Audio pro-sumer market and why they introduced the Icon, which could be the first of a range of improved control surface technologies. And Digi's already announced foray into live sound. Also, if Digi is smart they will address their many software missing links such as MIDI improvements, mastering and high resolution audio authoring etc.