Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 04-28-2021, 02:04 PM

Default Removing unused audio files.. Two different prompts?

At the end of every session / day of work i clear all the unused clips / audio files in order to keep size at a minimum. I noticed that there is two different prompts i randomly get when performing this operation.. One allows me delete the unused files from the audio folder, the other only from the session. Any idea why the latter prompt pops up from time to time when doing this? The first picture is what i primarily get and what i want, the second im trying to figure out. I hope that makes sense haha. Any info is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg message_1.jpg (68.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg message_2.jpg (62.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-28-2021, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Removing unused audio files.. Two different prompts?

Clearing clips meaning clearing from the right clip pane. Removing a file means removing it from session folder. You have two options there, move to operating system trash or delete straight away.

If you really want to delete unused audio files, be careful. And do it like this:
- on the clip pane, select unused audio files
- then remove the ones you wish to keep or locate the one you wish to delete
- once your clip list has selection of audio files you want to remove, move them to trash first and see if your session still behaves as expected.
- last, after closing session, empty the operating system trash manually.

I myself have done this session cleaning so many times I just straight up delete what I know I do not need. But you need to build confidence yourself, and for the first time it really does not hurt if you first Save Copy In and do your training on a backup session.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Clearing clips meaning clearing from the right clip pane. Removing a file means removing it from session folder. You have two options there, move to operating system trash or delete straight away.

If you really want to delete unused audio files, be careful. And do it like this:
- on the clip pane, select unused audio files
- then remove the ones you wish to keep or locate the one you wish to delete
- once your clip list has selection of audio files you want to remove, move them to trash first and see if your session still behaves as expected.
- last, after closing session, empty the operating system trash manually.

I myself have done this session cleaning so many times I just straight up delete what I know I do not need. But you need to build confidence yourself, and for the first time it really does not hurt if you first Save Copy In and do your training on a backup session.
I appreciate the reply, thank you. Ive been doing this (deleting unused files) for over 10 years as a senior sound design engineer at a game production company. 100's of games, thousands of sessions. Confidence isn't an issue working in PT, I'm just more so curious why i get randomly 2 different prompts at times when doing the exact same procedure in the clip pane menu.

At the end of the day I just use the hot key to select the unused clips (shift+command U) than to delete (shift+command B). Most of the time im prompted with the first message i posted, but on occasion the second. Thats what im trying to figure out, why the occasional second prompt.

Often when im fully done a game / session ill use Save Copy In.

Last edited by MLaudio; 04-28-2021 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:46 PM

Here is a quick video showing what i mean..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bgy...ew?usp=sharing
Old 04-28-2021, 03:49 PM

Yes the reason for two different dialogs is removing clips from clip list and files from session folder are two different things. If you select a million files plus one clip, it will give you the clip removal dialog.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Yes the reason for two different dialogs is removing clips from clip list and files from session folder are two different things. If you select a million files plus one clip, it will give you the clip removal dialog.
I appreciate the reply JFreak, thank you for breaking it down.