Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 09-15-2002, 11:53 AM

Default Is this an OMS problem?

I have Triton and Digi 001 on PC. I know triton programs and banks are available to choose in MAC.
I have read on this site that it is not possible to do on PC. Is this true. I am thinking it is just a matter of setting up the midi device. How do you do this on PC. I have located the triton voice list file. (triton.sit) How do i upload it to Digi 001. I am at wits end, I hope someone can help???????
Old 09-15-2002, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Is this an OMS problem?

Check the PTLE for PC forum, or click:

http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...;f=32;t=009852
Old 09-15-2002, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Is this an OMS problem?

Hi John,

Cheers for the email. I thought I'd answer here, and hopefully someone else might answer with the PC-related stuff. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

If you'd like to open the Pro Tools MIDI track's Program Change window, choose from a list of bank names, and view (and edit) the patch names that are available in your Triton, then at present, you'll need the Mac version of Pro Tools (and a Mac [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) running a utility called OMS Names.

On a PC (and on a Mac without the required OMS Patch Name Document), you still can select patches/banks from within Pro Tools, but the banks will require you to enter the respective MSB/LSB numbers in the fields marked "Controller 0" and "Controller 32" that relate to your synth's bank changes (refer your Triton manual), and then call up patches from a number ranging from 0 to 127. Not very friendly, is it?

This'll hopefully change for the upcoming PT6. If Mac goes OS-X, then OMS won't follow, and as the PC version is currently pathetic in this area, it desperately deserves a proper patch/bank management system.

You wrote:
"...I have located the triton voice list file. (triton.sit)"

Is that a list of patch names, or is that a sysex MIDI file containing a set of instructions to create a new set of sounds in your Triton. Sounds to me like the latter. ".sit" stands for 'stuff it', a file compression utility.

Once 'unstuffed' (usually by trying to open the file - Does PC use .sit??? Not sure.), the MIDI file can be imported into Pro Tools (like you would an audio file, but from the MIDI playlist), dropped into a MIDI track, output set to your Triton, play the track start to finish, and the file will automatically load into your Triton (assuming its set to accept sysex).

Sorry, but I have no idea how Pro Tools knows what MIDI ports/devices are connected to a PC. If someone knows, I'd appreciate them posting it here.

Hope that helps,

Phil