Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-18-2008, 02:39 AM

Default Anyone else having the "can't access upper menu's" bug?

Man, this is getting to be a drag. This used to be happening once in a while, but lately it happens EVERY TIME. And I can't think that I've changed anything.

When I close a session, now all of my upper Mac menus (ie, the File menu) at the top are not accessible within ProTools. Meaning, to open another session, I need to go to the actual file on the hard drive, rather than trying to choose "Open Recent" from the File menu. And once I'm in the new session, I can't access the Audiosuite menu because all the Upper menus are dead. The only way to fix is to Quit Pro Tools and relaunch. MAJOR drag.

Interestingly, let's say I close a session. With ProTools still chosen as my active Application, I can't access the upper menus. But, if I click on the desktop, so "Finder" is my open Application, then I can access the upper menus just fine. So, this is clearly a ProTools-related problem of some kind.

I'm running 7.4cs6 on a G5 Dual 2.0g with Mac OS 10.4.11. I've trashed all PT prefs (doesn't fix the problem). I've run disk permissions on the Mac. I don't know what else to try.

Any suggestions? This is really a drag. Digidesign, can you help me?
Old 08-18-2008, 06:15 AM

Hi,
Same setup here as you except have stayed with 10.4.9.
Running great.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:02 AM

John, interesting. Have you updated all your plugs lately? I'm thinking that should be my next more...just making sure I have the very latest plugs. If that doesn't work, I may drop back to 7.3.x, because these problems really seemed to crop up when I moved to 7.4.x
Old 08-18-2008, 12:02 PM

Waves Diamond is my main bundle besides various other single plugins.
I have not had time to up to Waves 6.0, still 5.9.7.
All others up to date.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyv View Post
Man, this is getting to be a drag. This used to be happening once in a while, but lately it happens EVERY TIME. And I can't think that I've changed anything.

When I close a session, now all of my upper Mac menus (ie, the File menu) at the top are not accessible within ProTools. Meaning, to open another session, I need to go to the actual file on the hard drive, rather than trying to choose "Open Recent" from the File menu. And once I'm in the new session, I can't access the Audiosuite menu because all the Upper menus are dead. The only way to fix is to Quit Pro Tools and relaunch. MAJOR drag.

Interestingly, let's say I close a session. With ProTools still chosen as my active Application, I can't access the upper menus. But, if I click on the desktop, so "Finder" is my open Application, then I can access the upper menus just fine. So, this is clearly a ProTools-related problem of some kind.

I'm running 7.4cs6 on a G5 Dual 2.0g with Mac OS 10.4.11. I've trashed all PT prefs (doesn't fix the problem). I've run disk permissions on the Mac. I don't know what else to try.

Any suggestions? This is really a drag. Digidesign, can you help me?
Ive got it too.

fresh install of Apple and PT.
Most current version of plugs, but tech support feels thats the culprit.

trying to whittle down the contestants to see whos peeing in the pool.

Sean McDonald
Red Medicine Recording LLC
Sofa King Music Services
http://www.seanmcdonald.com
Old 08-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Avid

We've been looking into this issue for a long time, but have yet been able to narrow down the specific cause. We see that the problem is not happening only with Pro Tools - other applications have experienced this as well.

We're currently working with Apple to try to determine the cause.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:19 PM
Avid

I should mention that the previous posters are correct, in that many cases of this have been solved by updating plug-ins, especially Waves.

The question I would have is - if you remove all your plug-ins, trash preferences, restart and test again - can you still get the problem to occur?

In another case we had a customer reinstall their OS and ONLY install Pro Tools - no extra software or changes to the default configuration. The problem could not be duplicated any longer, so that gave further credence to the fact that this is something outside of Pro Tools causing the issue.

As I said, though - we will continue to investigate.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:47 PM

i dont want to shout but UPDATE YOUR WAVES TO 5.9.7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it will solve all your problems. i spent three years on this board bitching to digi about all these issues and more. in the end it was those bastards at Waves causing me all the grief.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:52 PM

Digi, FYI

i have not had a single crash due to the "keyboard bug" or the "menu's dont work" since updating to 5.9.7

is there better quality control you can demand from 3rd party developers to avoid the pain and suffering that so many PT users have had to go through because of Waves 5 being such a poorly debugged software?

fman
Old 08-21-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
I should mention that the previous posters are correct, in that many cases of this have been solved by updating plug-ins, especially Waves.

The question I would have is - if you remove all your plug-ins, trash preferences, restart and test again - can you still get the problem to occur?

In another case we had a customer reinstall their OS and ONLY install Pro Tools - no extra software or changes to the default configuration. The problem could not be duplicated any longer, so that gave further credence to the fact that this is something outside of Pro Tools causing the issue.

As I said, though - we will continue to investigate.
My issues have continued, regardless of the number or type of plug ins.
I too assumed it might be waves, but with only, stereo mixer, gain-normalize, and click installed the last few days, im still getting the same issues that I had with all my plugs loaded.

very frustrating.

Sean McDonald
Red Medicine Recording LLC
Sofa King Music Services
http://www.seanmcdonald.com