Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 12-12-2001, 07:49 AM

Default CREATE TEMPO MAP FOR MATERIAL RECORDED W/O A CLICK

I'm using PT 5.0.1. What is the best way to create a tempo map for material recorded withoug a click. I want to make bars line up with down beats.
Old 12-12-2001, 08:47 AM

Default Re: CREATE TEMPO MAP FOR MATERIAL RECORDED W/O A CLICK

I actually did this once on 5.0.1, using the following slightly tedious method:

Find the first downbeat, and use 'Identify Beat' (command-I??) to identify it as 1|0|0. Determine the total number of measures in the song and Identify the first downbeat of the last mesure as nnn|0|0 (when nnn is the total number of measures).

Then I simply played it with a click track and, wherever it started to get off the meter, I'd do another identify beat. Eventually I got a fairly accurate midi tempo. Obviously, the difficulty of this depends how consistent the original meter is.

I haven't done this in a while, as most of what I've been doing lately involves recording midi tracks live along with the original tracks. This means that, if I don't use a click to begin with, I don't have the liberty to change tempo, as it would trash the existing midi tracks, and I'm basically stuck with meaningless bars and beats.

Tom
Old 12-13-2001, 08:42 AM

Default Re: CREATE TEMPO MAP FOR MATERIAL RECORDED W/O A CLICK

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by tld:
I actually did this once on 5.0.1, using the following slightly tedious method:

Find the first downbeat, and use 'Identify Beat' (command-I??) to identify it as 1|0|0. Determine the total number of measures in the song and Identify the first downbeat of the last mesure as nnn|0|0 (when nnn is the total number of measures).

Then I simply played it with a click track and, wherever it started to get off the meter, I'd do another identify beat. Eventually I got a fairly accurate midi tempo. Obviously, the difficulty of this depends how consistent the original meter is.

Tom
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What he said. But then, change the start time of the ssession to the Bar 1 beat 1 start time (trimming away any region that precedes it) add a midi track, and then export the session as a standard midi file, and voila! you can now open your tempo map into any sequencer. There are also ways to click out out vari-tempo audio in Performer, but I've found the ProTools bar/beat identifier quick and easy.

-Craig