Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2003, 08:31 AM

Default Scored a used Mackie HUI -- RS-232 (serial port) connection?

Hey guys,

I just got a good deal on a used Mackie HUI, which I'll have a few days. In the meantime I want to figure out how I'll be connecting the HUI to my PTLE system, so I can get up and running as soon as I receive it.

Anyway, right now I'm using the Digi001 MIDI in/outs to control a Yamaha sequencer/tone generator, and I don't have another MIDI interface. Apparently the HUI can also connect to one of the host computer's serial ports using a DB9 cable, and the baud rate is slightly faster. Anyone do this with a Windows system? How does one configure a serial port to communicate with the HUI, for use in Pro Tools LE 5.3.1? Drivers to install, etc.? Does it "just work?"

Will this serial port connection thing going to work or will I have to buy another (probably USB) MIDI interface? (the MOTU FastLane USB seems like a decent choice)

Thanks in advance,

Brian
Old 04-25-2003, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Scored a used Mackie HUI -- RS-232 (serial port) connection?

As a HUI user this is what I have found the HUI with the DIGI001 works best using the 001 midi ports other interfaces give you an occassional loss of communication from time to time.
Let the Hui have the 001 and let PT MIDI use a secondary interface. The MOTU stuff works well.
Go to Mackie's site and download the manual.

http://www.mackie.com/products/pdf/hui_om.pdf

Test the HUI thoroughly and check the firmware level since it is used.
Serial MIDI isn't hard to do on a Mac on a PC well MIDI interfaces are cheap enough where you don't even bother.
Old 04-25-2003, 03:58 PM

Wait a second, as I understood it with the hui at work, the serial port on the hui is completely non-functional (kind of like on the 001). Originally architected for, but never implemented.

If you guys have gotten your serial connector on your hui to funcion, coooool, but I don't think it's supposed to.

Someone please enlighten me if I'm mistaken here.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:19 PM

Hey Chris when you go to work look at the back of the HUI and you will notice that there are 2 ports:
the serial port and the expansion port.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:51 PM

I don't have hui or any other midi control surface, but I did have success using an alesis qs6.1 keyboard with a db9 to db25 serial cable to a pc with the SC-8820 version 3.2 serial driver on Roland's Edirol website. Its a pretty simple installation. This software simply tells the PC to look to its serial port for MIDI info. It doesn't care what's on the other end.

http://www.edirol.com/support/drivers.html
Old 04-26-2003, 12:12 AM

Thanks for the tips, SKI. I'll pick up a MOTU FastLane and get this HUI party started!

Brian
Old 04-26-2003, 02:43 AM

The nine pin serial interface on the HUI doesn't work, even though they say it does in the owners manual. You'll need to pick up another MIDI interface. Great piece of gear though.....

Good luck!

Bill
Old 04-26-2003, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Numachida:
The nine pin serial interface on the HUI doesn't work, even though they say it does in the owners manual. You'll need to pick up another MIDI interface. Great piece of gear though.....

Good luck!

Bill
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I try to verify this once I get my hands on some gender changers, I try it on the Mac with OMS and also on the PC.
Old 04-26-2003, 06:53 PM

I tried all that. When it didn't work I called Mackie technical support and they said the port was non-functional.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:19 AM

I received an email from Mackie stating that the 9-pin Serial Port does work, it's the 9-pin expansion port that doesn't do anything.
Maybe the tech got confused as to which 9-pin connector you were asking about.