Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2000, 09:37 PM

Default Waves Ren EQ and ProControl??

We just installed our ProControl, and while getting used to it's operation, I've noticed that the Waves Ren EQ support in the DSP edit section is kind of strange. I can get Focusrite and MacDSP and the Ren Comp plug-ins to work great, but the Ren EQ is weird. The freq values don't show up, and the bypass buttons change the Ren EQ output level.
Is there a version that has better compatibility?
Thanks,
Dave.

Old 02-21-2000, 08:04 AM

Default Re: Waves Ren EQ and ProControl??

Waves 2.8.1 is the latest version. It is downloadable from Waves.com

I have not noticed the problem since we just find the DSP section on ProControl to be too slow. I can do eq'ing etc with the mouse on the screen before I kind find the right knob or change the mapping on the DSP section. I think in time you will see what I mean.

I had thought that was going to be a 'cool' section, but all I use it for is when I do an automated move on an EQ or effect.

Hope that helps, Good luck!

George Cumbee
Classic Recording, Franklin, TN www.classicrecording.com
www.classicrecording.com
Old 02-23-2000, 09:11 PM

I agree. Digi should just program the faders to control the plug-ins... that way the touch automation would work on them.
Old 02-24-2000, 02:12 AM

this is the best idea you can get!! Hey DIGI, please program the faders to automate or even only edit the plugs!!!
I am sure that would sell a lot more PC´s...

Rock it, Joe the Rasta Ganjakilla
Old 02-24-2000, 08:57 AM

George,

Regarding the DSP section, to the contrary, I find it real nice to use on MacDSP comps, Ren comps, and focusrite eq. I'm only a 1-week user of the PC, but it hasn't worn off yet. I'll let you know if I chance my mind.

Regarding editing plug-ins with faders, I'd put my vote in for this too! It would be great.

Dave.

Old 02-25-2000, 06:51 PM

about 6 years ago I was at AES in NYC and locked beneath a crystal clear case was..... Procontrol's prototype. I remember how the faders were supposed to control EVERYTHING....EQ freq, gain, etc, Verb parameters, delay tap times, compression ratios... all automated...
My nails left marks as I clawed at the case.

Rumor has it that Digi ran it over with a car and PC was born.

Any truth to this Digi?
Old 02-26-2000, 03:24 AM

Wow sounds like the baby in the snmall rocket sent from a distant planet that grew up to be SUPERMAN! The stuff of legends....

Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 03-01-2000, 09:10 PM

OK, back to the issue.

Now, I have upgraded my Mac to Waves 2.8.1. Everything starts up fine. I still have the same problem. If I load a PT 5.0 session and open a Waves RenEQ plug in, my ProControl DSP
edit section is not well implemented. For example:
1. If I open a RenEQ4, all four bands gain shows up fine in the DSP edit section (scribble strips). However, only 3 of the four bands show frequency.
2. The bypass switch next to band 1 gain toggles that bands Q from min (.26) to max (~6). You would think this would turn off the band.
3. The 2nd band bypass switch toggles the first bands filter type (i.e., shelf, HP, bell).
4. There are several other odd things that happen when you press other buttons..
This is hard to work with.
Note that the RenComp implementation in DSP edit is great. All the buttons and knobs work the way you would expect.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks,
Dave.

Old 03-02-2000, 03:03 AM

Try finding someone who cares! There is a "third party development' guy at digi, and of course Waves. One will tell you it's not thier job to 'tell Waves what to do', the other, well good luck getting through to anyone I din't think you will get much joy from either.The buck gets passed, folded and put in a pocket! Good luck. I'm with you.
Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 03-02-2000, 07:45 AM

I rest my case.....

Mousing PI's is still faster. I, on occasion, adjust parameters in the DSP section just to justify paying for it and to amuse myself. I don't do it when I have a client with me though, cause they will wonder why it is taking so long to figure out where everything is and figure which button brings up the rest of the parameters.

I like the idea of getting them on the faders for automation. That is a great idea.

George Cumbee
Classic Recording, Franklin TN www.classicrecording.com
www.classicrecording.com