Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 12-18-2018, 11:14 PM

Default Reconfiguring system - Video out to HDMI from older Mac Pro?

Hey all,

Quick (probably) easy one here...

I'm setting up my old 2011 Mac Pro running PT11 (Mavericks) to monitor video out to a TV via HDMI.

Blackmagic box won't work (ultrastudio mini monitor) it appears because it's not thunderbolt.

Any ideas on a good card or external box to be able to send video out to an external screen considering the age of my mac?

Happy to buy something new or used, just want the best option/price combo if you have any suggestions. Thanks!
Old 12-19-2018, 03:11 AM

Default Re: Reconfiguring system - Video out to HDMI from older Mac Pro?

If your Mac has 2 DVI ports, you can just hook up a cheap DVI to HDMI adapter to the second one (if it's free)
Otherwise, a blackmagic decklink mini monitor connected through PCI.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucelar View Post
If your Mac has 2 DVI ports, you can just hook up a cheap DVI to HDMI adapter to the second one (if it's free)
Otherwise, a blackmagic decklink mini monitor connected through PCI.
I do believe I have an open DVI port as my monitor is using a mini display port with a converter.

I'm confused though, won't using a DVI to HDMI adapter out of the DVI port just make it show up as a second (mirrored) monitor?

(Would be great if you're right btw.)

I'll check it out, and if not I'll do the decklink option like you said.... I was looking into those last night - but didn't know if there was a better option.

Thanks very much!
Old 12-19-2018, 08:20 AM

The second monitor can be mirrored or it can be split. I used to work this way quite a bit and there are some advantages to it.

On disadvantage is that the second monitor playout doesn't use a sync io or hd to lock the video playback correctly. That means that that there can be a bit of inconsistency when playing back (+- .75 frame) every time you hit play. For most things this isn't a huge deal, but depending on what you are doing and who you are doing it for it might be an issue.

A second option would be to purchase a used Black Magic card (assuming you have a sync io or hd) and play out from the PCIe card. This makes some assumptions about your setup that may or may not be true...

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchrismar View Post
I do believe I have an open DVI port as my monitor is using a mini display port with a converter.

I'm confused though, won't using a DVI to HDMI adapter out of the DVI port just make it show up as a second (mirrored) monitor?

(Would be great if you're right btw.)

I'll check it out, and if not I'll do the decklink option like you said.... I was looking into those last night - but didn't know if there was a better option.

Thanks very much!
Denver, CO
Old 12-19-2018, 11:24 AM

If you do need to have a gen-lock, Blackmagic Decklink MiniMonitor on PCIe will do the job.

1 SDI/HDMI out on a slot. And that's it. True QT video out from ProTools to SDI/HDMI. I used it in a edit room on Mavericks.

Kuba
Old 12-19-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba Pietrzak View Post
If you do need to have a gen-lock, Blackmagic Decklink MiniMonitor on PCIe will do the job.

1 SDI/HDMI out on a slot. And that's it. True QT video out from ProTools to SDI/HDMI. I used it in a edit room on Mavericks.

Kuba
Thanks Kuba,

Looking into Decklink, and also looks like Blackmagic has one called Intensity that has 2 HDMI outs (PCI) that looks pretty much plug and play.

Got one report from a mixer at our facility that he has an old tower like mine (2011) at home and it has this card and works well.

He didn't mention any playback problems... and it's just reference video for mixing. Seems like a good option as well.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:38 PM

I have been using Blackmagic's Intensity Pro 4K without issues for several years now in a 2008 Mac Pro Tower with OS 10.10.5. No problems with video from Pro Tools. I tested it briefly with PT's 12.1 and no issues but this Mac is dedicated to PT's 10.5 for PT HD hardware. Sync is not critical for this system, which is mainly used for cuts less than 5 minutes, though I have not seen any sync issues from the Intensity Pro.
Andrew
Old 01-01-2019, 02:46 PM

I'm using an Intensity Pro pcie on a Mac Pro 5,1 OS 10.10.5 PT11 HD for the last 4+ years with no issues on 30 second promos to full length feature films.
-HD Omni
-BM Intensity Pro

-Waves Mercury+SSL4000 Collection+Abbey Roads
-iZotope RX10 Advanced
-iZotope Post Production Suite 6
-iZotope Music Production Suite 5
-HALO UP/DOWN MIX
-ANYMIX
-Delonghi Perfecta ESAM 5600.S
Old 01-02-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchrismar View Post
Hey all,

Quick (probably) easy one here...

I'm setting up my old 2011 Mac Pro running PT11 (Mavericks) to monitor video out to a TV via HDMI.

Blackmagic box won't work (ultrastudio mini monitor) it appears because it's not thunderbolt.

Any ideas on a good card or external box to be able to send video out to an external screen considering the age of my mac?

Happy to buy something new or used, just want the best option/price combo if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

I was using ATI Radeon HD 5770 with 2 Accell mini display to HDMI, and DVI to HDMI adapters. 3 monitors running flawlessly. On a 2009 Mac Pro.

If you're in LA, I have a couple for sale!!
Old 01-09-2019, 04:50 PM

I'm using a standard Blackmagic Intensity pro in my 2010 5,1 Mac Pro with both Protools and Davinci Resolve, that I bought used for $25

Zero problems.

Living the dream.