Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2001, 09:27 AM

Default Avid Import of PT Bounces No Longer Works!!

I just upgraded my PM9600/300 from 5.01 and OS 8.6 to PT 5.1 and OS 9.1. So far everything is fine, but I have a unique problem that nobody seems to know about. I do audio post in a video facility that is primarily Avid based and for 6 or 7 years I have been providing Avids (Win NT and Mac) with files I create as a "bounce to disk" from Pro Tools. These files are then imported into Media Composer. I have never had a problem until now. Now the WinNT system almost always rejects my .wav or .aif files and gives a "file name" error on import. The maddening part is that it happens inconsistantly-I can make two files from the exact same audio in PT and get the error sometimes and not others. I have tried everything. The Mac Avid will now NEVER import my .aiff files and gives a "bad chunk" error every time. This problem has been described at great length to both Avid and Digidesign, neither of whom know diddley about the other product. I should mention that Media Composer is the ONLY application that ever has a problem with my PT bounced files-Quicktime, SoundJam, Media Player, and audio CDs work perfectly importing these same files that Avids reject. Old files created before the 9.1/5.1 upgrade always import flawlessly.
HELP!!

------------------
"I Keep A Vigil In A Wilderness of Mirrors" (Fish)
Old 04-10-2001, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Avid Import of PT Bounces No Longer Works!!

There are two workarounds for this problem:
1) Import the bounced files back into the Pro Tools session before taking them to the Avid system. This will correct the "bad chunk" error.
2) Bounce using "Avid Compatibility Mode" enabled in the Preferences dialog, then place the bounced files directly in the OMFI Media Files folder of the Avid system you're working with rather than using the Avid import dialog.
The advantage of this method is that OMF information will be added to the bounced file which will then show up in the Avid bin. e.g., the in and out points of the bounce and the name of the session that was bounced will be displayed in the bin.

Doing both 1&2 is probably the best thing (and can be done by simply checking a couple of boxes.)

The bug will be fixed in the maintenance release. For the time being, sorry for the hassle.

------------------
Paul Greyson
Digidesign Engineering
Old 04-10-2001, 11:01 AM

same exact thing here.
thanks for the work around paul.

cmz
Lynx Aurora 16n Thunderbolt
Old 04-10-2001, 11:52 AM

Paul,
Thanks for the workarounds-I have had only limited opportunity to try them, but so far I have had no luck with just turning on the "avid compatibility" box with either Mac or WinNT Avid systems. I need some clarification as to what you mean by re-importing the files back into Pro Tools...when a file is re-imported it is saved in the audio files folder in the (24 bit) session format. These are clearly not compatible with WinNT systems and niether windows or mac avids support 24 bit audio. I have not yet had an opportunity to try the OMFI folder copy technique you mentioned.
Thanks,
Shaun Mullins
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Greyson:
There are two workarounds for this problem:
1) Import the bounced files back into the Pro Tools session before taking them to the Avid system. This will correct the "bad chunk" error.
2) Bounce using "Avid Compatibility Mode" enabled in the Preferences dialog, then place the bounced files directly in the OMFI Media Files folder of the Avid system you're working with rather than using the Avid import dialog.
The advantage of this method is that OMF information will be added to the bounced file which will then show up in the Avid bin. e.g., the in and out points of the bounce and the name of the session that was bounced will be displayed in the bin.

Doing both 1&2 is probably the best thing (and can be done by simply checking a couple of boxes.)

The bug will be fixed in the maintenance release. For the time being, sorry for the hassle.

Old 04-10-2001, 02:23 PM

Right. If you're working in 24 bit you'd have to import into a different 16 bit session to fix the file.

Turning on Avid Compat mode won't fix the import-into-Avid problem, but it will allow you to put the files directly in the OMFI Media Files folder (thereby avoiding the import problem.)

In your case, #2 is probably the better solution since it doesn't require that you open up a 16 bit session just to fix the file.

Sorry again for the hassle.

------------------
Paul Greyson
Digidesign Engineering
Old 04-12-2001, 12:29 AM

i had the same problem here with 5.1 to Avid (MC V10) and Cubase. (no problems toward Avid MC V8)

one easy thing to do is to open the bounced file in Peak (or QT or Sound app..), resave it without a change and the problem disappear.

[This message has been edited by gugu (edited April 12, 2001).]
Old 05-15-2001, 05:26 AM

found this old topic through another link - and just wanted to add that i seem to have the similar problem on aiffs when loading into waveconvertpro to batch convert for the avid. waveconvert says they are 0 secs long...

=a=