Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2007, 02:01 AM

Default Stepping back through ADR cues

If Im doing an ADR session, where multiple recordings are being made at the same timecode, is there a way of stepping back through the "layers" or "takes" placed over on another, to retrieve a previous take without needing to drag it from the regions list.

ie we decide to go for the previous take, which has now been superceded by another. I need to bring this previous one to the front again.

Peter
Old 01-27-2007, 02:08 AM

Default Re: Stepping back through ADR cues

back when I was doing a lot of this, I pre-spotted all my ADR points in the session from the editors EDL. Then I would have lots of open tracks to record to. I never liked having to deal with playlists when there were 2 ISDN patches open, with timecode, and expensive snooty actors who would rather be off shopping (can't blame them - doing ADR sucks, nothing automatic about it).
Old 01-27-2007, 03:48 AM

Im hoping to be able to record ALL takes to 1 track, and find a way of bringing a desired take back to the top, leaving all the alts in the regions list
Peter
Old 01-27-2007, 08:13 AM

You should still try playlists. Put take 1 on playlist 1, take 2 on playlist 2 and so on. Copy your hero take (or combined takes) on top level of the track, keeping all the other takes in the playlists. Take lots of notes. Now you can easily switch through the takes by just changing playlists. Best thing is, everything remains on one track, so it's really easy to exchange session data. And of course, every take stays on the correct TC position.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Im hoping to be able to record ALL takes to 1 track, and find a way of bringing a desired take back to the top, leaving all the alts in the regions list
Peter
Make your selection including ADR beeps.
In Loop REC perform your takes.
Using the Selector tool (Not in Smart Tool mode)
Command+Selector Tool over the Region. A pop up menu with Alt takes will apear. When you select one, it comes up to the top.
hth
Old 01-27-2007, 11:12 AM

Yes, Rob is correct. The selector tool is the "I" bar thing.

You loop some takes, then hold down command and click on the region with your mouse. From the menu you can choose takes with the client right there during the session. If we like a take or two, I will rename the select takes with as "s" at the end.

The great thing is you can just play the region to loopback and jump around and listen to your takes without stopping. The only caveat is that it takes 2-5 seconds for the audio to catch up with your change in selection. You will hear the audio "pop-over" in mid take. But you can go through and audition 13 takes in a row without pressing stop. Compare 4 with 6 with 9, and so on. If the region size is the same, you can also review takes from a previous recording -- it's all visible in the pop up menu. But if you trim or change the region area, the audition function won't work.

c-post
Old 01-27-2007, 11:19 AM

Thats the fella.
Thanks ever so much for the lead
Peter