Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2002, 01:32 PM

Default Beeps for V.O. and ADR?

I just did a quick gig and had the host of a show come in to do a V.O.

She said "where are the beeps"? I was not aware that you needed beeps for v.o.? It's not the same as ADR, is it? In ADR (correct me if I'm wrong) you need the beeps for timing to match what's on screen. V.O. isn't precise and just needs a cue as to where to start (approximately).

Does anyone use beeps for V.O.?

Thanks.
[email protected]
http://www.boomchic.com
Old 06-02-2002, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Beeps for V.O. and ADR?

Even though you don't need beeps for VO work, a lot of actors are used to it.

ADR mixers I find usually ask the actor what they prefer: beeps, streamers, or nothing.

But for feature film ADR sessions, if no one says anything, the ADR mixer typically uses beeps in all cases for both ADR and VO (and Wild recordings too!). It's a consistent way to let the actor know exactly when to start or when it's guarenteed that 'tape is rolling'.

-PB
Old 06-03-2002, 12:29 AM

Thanks Potatohead,

Nice "ranch"!That looks like a nice place to be creative. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

So how do you create the beeps/streamers and how do you implement them into PT?

What are streamers, is that a visual thing?

Thanks. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
[email protected]
Old 06-03-2002, 11:53 AM

Beeps are typically 3 beeps and if there was a fourth beep -- that would line up with the first frame of the the line of dialogue or VO. But The fourth beep is "imaginary." Beeps are spread apart by an even number of frames. 20 frames works well, I also have a set that are 15 frames apart -- if the natural pace is a little faster. So it plays beep( 1 frame), pause (19 frames) , beep, pause, beep, pause, and on what would be the fourth (imaginary beep) the actor or announcer starts.

Here is one approach making ADR beeps ( a one time process): Go back to Audiosuite (like we talked about some time ago for making a 2-pop). Use the same routine. Then take that one frame pop and put it on the timeline (say at 1:00:00:00) and then again 20 fames later at 1:00:00:20 and 1:00:01:10 and a fourth one at 1:00:02:00.

Then select the first three pops and the air up to the fourth pop (but not including the fouth pop). Do a bouce to disk of this selection. and name it "ADR beeps."

Then import that bounce to the session that you are going to be doing ADR or Voice-Over to. Create a new track for ADR beep playback and when you need a beep cue then either tail slip or tail spot the last frame of the ADR beep clip to the first frame of the voice cue.

Also get take some time to learn loop record, becuase that can come in handy for some kinds of ADR sessions.
(323) 851-0299
[email protected]
www.tfpost.com
Old 06-03-2002, 05:02 PM

Thank you Bigsound,
Thank you Bigsound,
Thank you Bigsound, [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I'll try that bounced 3 pop on my next V.O. session (if the talent wants it). Thanks for the recipe for the ADR beeps. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I actually used loop record on the above mentioned gig to do an ADR fix on a standup, and it worked great! Like magic! Client and talent were amazed at how easy (and undetectable)it was to fix a wrong word.

What about "streamers"? Sounds like a visual cue on the playback video?

Thanks.
[email protected]
Old 06-03-2002, 11:11 PM

Streamers are a visual cue superiposed on the video, also sometimes called a wipe. Sometimes theyare a vertical line that moves across the frame, sometimes its a horazontal line that runs across the bottom of the screen. Beeps and streamers are also used for Foley. Streamers are expensive for PT (anyone know a cheap method let me know) because PT doesn't directly support trigering of external devices and the USD doesn't generate streamers. So the basic method is to slave the whole mess to a Lynx and have that triger the streamer box and PT. All of that is way to much for alot of folks so the beeps are a good alternative plus they have been used along time even by folks who could do either.
SK

PS Ironicaly MOTU's boxes can generate streamers BUT only Digital Performer seems to be able to triger them.
Old 06-04-2002, 12:06 AM

Beeps are typically 3 beeps and if there was a fourth beep -- that would line up with the first frame of the the line of dialogue or VO. But The fourth beep is "imaginary." Beeps are spread apart by an even number of frames. 20 frames works well, I also have a set that are 15 frames apart -- if the natural pace is a little faster. So it plays beep( 1 frame), pause (19 frames) , beep, pause, beep, pause, and on what would be the fourth (imaginary beep) the actor or announcer starts.

Here is one approach making ADR beeps ( a one time process): Go back to Audiosuite (like we talked about some time ago for making a 2-pop). Use the same routine. Then take that one frame pop and put it on the timeline (say at 1:00:00:00) and then again 20 fames later at 1:00:00:20 and 1:00:01:10 and a fourth one at 1:00:02:00.

Then select the first three pops and the air up to the fourth pop (but not including the fouth pop). Do a bouce to disk of this selection. and name it "ADR beeps."

Then import that bounce to the session that you are going to be doing ADR or Voice-Over to. Create a new track for ADR beep playback and when you need a beep cue then either tail slip or tail spot the last frame of the ADR beep clip to the first frame of the voice cue.

Also get take some time to learn loop record, becuase that can come in handy for some kinds of ADR sessions.
(323) 851-0299
[email protected]
www.tfpost.com
Old 06-04-2002, 12:10 AM

(323) 851-0299
[email protected]
www.tfpost.com
Old 06-05-2002, 06:18 PM

Bigsound,

I followed your recipe for adr beeps and it worked like a charm! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I've got 2 different VO sessions tomorrow, so if they want the beeps, I'm ready. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks again.
[email protected]
Old 06-06-2002, 05:16 PM
ACI/ALP Moderator

Streamers are definitely expensive. The best box I've seen (that is currently available as new) is the Colin Broad VS-1. But at EURO 4000 it is not cheap.

You can drive it from ProTools or Gallery ADR Studio in a number of ways. One of the best is to hook up a Midi Solutions Relay ($149) and trigger it with a MIDI event.

Sure makes beeps seem simple, eh?

Good luck!