Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2022, 08:01 PM

Default Automating vol from interface

Hi, I'm wondering if I can automate the vol from my interface so it can print into pro tools, or do I have to automate it manually?
Old 08-31-2022, 01:25 AM

Default Re: Automating vol from interface

"automate"
literally "auto" is not manually

No mention of what interface.
Old 08-31-2022, 01:28 AM

I see from another post you use a Focusrite Scarlett. So the answer is no.
Old 08-31-2022, 04:59 AM

Back in the tape days, "automation" meant many people were hands on with many faders and knobs. Take that as a hint
Old 08-31-2022, 12:33 PM

This question is confusing at best. Automate what volume? When you say "volume", do you really mean input gain, or output volume? Input gain controls the level going into the converter and then to a track. Output volume is the level of playback and has nothing to do with anything inside the session. I agree that the answer is "no", but wish to understand the question in hopes of educating the OP

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-01-2022, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
This question is confusing at best. Automate what volume? When you say "volume", do you really mean input gain, or output volume? Input gain controls the level going into the converter and then to a track. Output volume is the level of playback and has nothing to do with anything inside the session. I agree that the answer is "no", but wish to understand the question in hopes of educating the OP
I mean like the output of one of the instrumentals so I can create Energy hype (for a lack of a better word) by raising up the volume a few dB and then turning it back down. I was just playing with the vol nob and every time I hear a part I like, I wanted to add more emphasis. I'm probably not even making sense but it was a cool trick in my head
Old 09-01-2022, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SdmSuli View Post
I mean like the output of one of the instrumentals so I can create Energy hype (for a lack of a better word) by raising up the volume a few dB and then turning it back down. I was just playing with the vol nob and every time I hear a part I like, I wanted to add more emphasis. I'm probably not even making sense but it was a cool trick in my head
You just do this with Pro Tools track volume automation, it has *nothing* to do with an interface, and how you asked the question threw everyday here for a loop (I though you meant remote control preamp gain).

The Pro Tools Reference guide explains automation well and you should read that since some of the concepts/controls may not be obvious. You can just record movements of faders with the mouse and/or draw in automation with the mouse/pencil etc. Best to start by finding a tutorial on how to use automation on a site like YouTube or a commercial training provider and then be sure to read the Reference Guide as well. Here is a simple video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNXHPI2wpE4, there may be better/more to look at.
Old 09-01-2022, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Back in the tape days, "automation" meant many people were hands on with many faders and knobs. Take that as a hint
In pro tools, you can automate the vol where you can drop it n raise it back up throughout the track. it's wte but I just thought it was a cool lil added effect.
Old 09-01-2022, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SdmSuli View Post
In pro tools, you can automate the vol where you can drop it n raise it back up throughout the track. it's wte but I just thought it was a cool lil added effect.
No. If you want a physical knob/fader to write automation you need a *control surface* like an Avid S1.
Old 09-01-2022, 03:32 PM

You can't do this with your interface volume knob. It's called 'Automation' and it's covered well in the PT Reference Guide. You can find youtube videos on it too. It involves using your mouse on the PT mix window faders (unless you have a DAW controller). You effectively "record" the volume changes. Works on lots of other parameters beside volume; mute, pan, plugins, etc.