Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2001, 09:36 AM

Default New Year\'s Resolution (24 bit)

Happy New Year's to all aspiring musicians out there! I sincerely hope that a whole lot of starvin' artists eat well in 2001 (myself included)! I'm a rapper who's trying to start my own independent label. The Digi001 is how I plan on making this dream a reality. 24 tracks at 24 bit resolution for about a 1000 bucks is not bad! I have Windows ME, so i have to wait for PTLE 5.1 before I can begin my musical oddessey.
I know the Digi001 is no Pro Tools 24 system ($5,995.00 & Up!), but is it naive of me to think i can start a label with it? Isn't the audio quality good enough for retail & radio? I like Digidesign, but the language they use is kind of condescending. "Professional Music"!? Is there anyone out there with a success story?
Anyway, best wishes to all the d.i.y. recording artists!
Old 01-01-2001, 10:02 AM

Default Re: New Year\'s Resolution (24 bit)

Hiya Rhymestyle.

Happy new year to you too!

As it goes I see no reason why you shouldn't start a label using a DIGI001 system for recording. After all, the real decider on sound quality is going to be the amount of time and expertise your engineer (read: self in most cases) puts into it.

Goodness knows plenty of things get released that are recorded on lesser systems. I recently had a look at a commercial single by a well known remixer and the stereo wasn't even level! And think of all those classic records that were made on 4 or 8 track with limited kit, way before any of this digital stuff was even dreamed of.

So go for it and many blessings with your label!

Regards,

Sandy.
Old 01-01-2001, 10:12 AM

I just got a digi001 for the holidays and I am very please with it. As far as quality goes, I have doen a little recording with it, mixed it down (not masterd) and played the track for my friends, they wre all impressed by the "professional like" quality of the system. My recording equipment consists of a 001, a mackie 1604 mixer, 2 shure sm57's and an AKG C2000B condenser, with those 3 mics I was able to produce a quality recording, drums, bass, guitar, and vocals. Minus the 001 the mics, mixer, and cables, stands etc cost me around less than 1300 bucks! Remember the 001 is not the consumer version of pro tools, however its price is more appealing to the ametuer, it is a "host based" version of the program. I believe it is definitely possible to hear something on the radio if not already done, recorded on an 001. especially if you buy a nice digital mixer so you could utlize the optical inputs as well as the analog ins on the 001, I believe its a great start for a studio. I already have a band thats paying me 20/hr to recordm I dunno if that says anything. Also if you are doing rap and using synths and stuff you might not even need a mixer, you could plug stuff right into the 001! I have the mixer to boost the levels on my mics (cuz I use more than 2 at once).
Basically after all my babbling what I am trying to tell you is the 001 is a good start for recording! After alot of research prolly one of the best values on the market in its price range, especially as far as comp based recording goes.
Good luck Rhymestyle!
Mike
Old 01-02-2001, 12:24 AM

Some people have started bitching about the 001 for its limitations, and maybe they are right, in a sense. But if I am allowed to state my opinion, don't let it get to you. I bought a 001 in July, and then started reading other people's opinions which really got to me, so that for a while I was mad at myself for buying it and got depressed, thinking I had wasted money.

After a while I shook it all off, and just started doing some recordings with it, and so far, beside the 24 track limitation that some styles have (latin for ex., because of all that percussion) it has been a really stable, intuitive, and pleasant tool to work with. It has only crashed once, when I used bombfactory's plugs in realtime (they're cpu hogs) after my song having a bunch of other plug ins.

I don't have much gear. I have a computer, the 001, and an AKG C3000B. We went into a studio to use more mics and their desk and were able to record drums, bass, guitars, etc...So far I have been pretty happy to constantly learn new features.

Oh yeah, and two words: keyboard shortcuts. It's so much faster.

Happy New Year from the "real deep south" (Paraguay)

Juergen
Old 01-02-2001, 03:37 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by rhymestyle:
Happy New Year's to all aspiring musicians out there! I sincerely hope that a whole lot of starvin' artists eat well in 2001 (myself included)! I'm a rapper who's trying to start my own independent label. The Digi001 is how I plan on making this dream a reality. 24 tracks at 24 bit resolution for about a 1000 bucks is not bad! I have Windows ME, so i have to wait for PTLE 5.1 before I can begin my musical oddessey.
I know the Digi001 is no Pro Tools 24 system ($5,995.00 & Up!), but is it naive of me to think i can start a label with it? Isn't the audio quality good enough for retail & radio? I like Digidesign, but the language they use is kind of condescending. "Professional Music"!? Is there anyone out there with a success story?
Anyway, best wishes to all the d.i.y. recording artists!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don´t for a minute think that the 001 is´t up for the job of pro-recording, - the audio quality of the system is pro.

I for one use the system for "pro"-work, however mostly with Logic Audio, and have no quality-probleme.

It´s all down to the converters, and they are fine on the 001 system.
I know about all the hype of 96/24 recording, but do we realy need that?

Can you hear the difference on your monitors?

In the real world it´s the the bit-debth that counts, - and 48/24 is more than fine for audio-production, it all ends up at 44.1/16 enyway.

And then finaly, - its your own talent that will finly determine if the recording, and mix end up in pro-quality, or as crap...

PAM