Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 09-19-2022, 07:08 PM

Default Diverting Back To W7 to Run PT10

In short... Yesterday I purchased the iLok PT10 license (through legal iLok manager), then went to Avid for PT10 download on Dell Inspiron15 5000; W10 (21H1). The download began, and then a message (not in exact words) appeared saying that the download being attempted may be harmful etc, but I chose to try anyway. PT10 install page appeared, and then a message said restart was needed to complete the install. I waited, and then suddenly the Dell Inspiron screen went blue upon attempted restart, except it had a message code saying there was an error and W10 could not restart etc. It attempted on its own to restart a couple of times, and then attempted on it's own to repair itself, but ultimately took me to what appeared to be safe mode. A few options wer e available to choose. I tried them all a couple of times. Neither, this thing called "image screen" or something, restore, nor system recovery*** worked. So Dell is out for now. I've only had it since Aug 2020.

I know this is a PT forum (predominantly) but maybe someone knows a little about the Windows updates in regards to running PT10 on a previous W7 startup that will stop providing updates soon. Will the laptops with no support eventually stop working down the line? Are we all destined for newer laptops we don't actually need just to run PT we will never own? Will we ultimately lose legacy PT's?
My true question is what do any of you think about diverting back to W7 with this Windows updates expiring in 2023?

Record Label On Traxsource
http://www.traxsource.com/label/1555...sentertainment

Follow me: http://www.instagram.com/ladynamedtracie
Old 09-20-2022, 08:17 AM

Default Re: Diverting Back To W7 to Run PT10

While you wait, click the link near the top of this(and every) page named Help Us Help You and have a good read.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-20-2022, 08:19 PM

In my own humble opinion, why invest ANY time & resources on a known end of life operating system? I’m sure you have your reasons?
Old 09-20-2022, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHM Productions LLC View Post
... My true question is what do any of you think about diverting back to W7 ...
Bad idea.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 09-29-2022, 06:56 AM

God no,why revert back to 7,got to say W11 pro is a joy to use with PTs,somewhat annoyed Macs seem to be getting the new Aux system and us on windows aseem to be stuck with the old one,but other than that everything runs really well,in fact the latest PT update is a little bit snappier loading up on W11
Old 09-29-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzero View Post
God no, why revert back to 7, got to say W11 pro is a joy to use with PTs, somewhat annoyed Macs seem to be getting the new Aux system and us on windows seem to be stuck with the old one, but other than that everything runs really well, in fact the latest PT update is a little bit snappier loading up on W11
Agreed. I never even used Windows 7. I went from my old computer with Windows XP, to a new computer in 2013 with Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 to now the latest Windows 10 and Pro Tools 2022.07 and soon 2022.09. Hardly a hiccup and backward compatibility Apple users can only dream about.

To the OP, you can get a Reinstatement Code and get up to the latest Pro Tools. Not sure why you'd want to stay at Pro Tools 10.

As to Aux I/O, I'm not sure, since it works with Core Audio, if Windows will ever see it. Since I have RME's TotalMix and RME's drivers are multi-client, the routing Aux I/O apparently affords I already have.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction