Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2014, 09:28 AM

Default EuCon Hell

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

I have cross-graded from my Windows 7 Ultimate rig to a new late-2012 Mac mini. My Artist Control had no problem on Windows, but on Mac OS 10.9.5, upon startup I get: “EUCON network services could not be started”

My understanding of networking is limited, but I have tried the Avid suggestions in different combinations (i.e. static IP, duplicating the Ethernet in System Preferences/Network “Artist Direct Connect”, Set Service Order at top) with router, without router, direct into mini, direct into Ethernet on Thunderbolt Display, etc.

The “Advanced” options in System Preferences is set as Configure IPv6: “Link-local only” on the (intended dedicated) port with the Artist Control. And I do get a green light (in the System Preferences/Network panel) on the connection with the Artist Control.

I’ve uninstalled (checked for left behind preferences in Library/Preferences), reinstalled, tried past versions, too.

No matter what I try, when I start EuCon I get: “EUCON network services could not be started”

If I try again once or twice (sometimes more), a crash report appears.

Is there something obvious I am doing wrong?

---

[edit, adding:] System Details:
PT 11.2.1 Native / Mac Mini OS X 10.9.5 / 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 / 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / Mac SSD / Thunderbolt Display / LaCie 10big (JBOD) / Mbox Pro (3rd gen)

Last edited by unkewl; 09-28-2014 at 09:37 AM. Reason: added system info
Old 09-28-2014, 12:15 PM

Default Re: EuCon Hell

After downloading Tapatalk (seems an easier way to search here), I found that I could try running EuCon without anything connected to the Ethernet ports. After complete uninstall (also ran Avid "cleanEuphonixWS" uninstall script for Mac from the support page), installed latest 3.1.3, with nothing connected, and still same: "EuCon network services could not be started"

BUT: for the first time a splash screen appeared (behind the EuCon error box), that reads "Avid Arist Series" "EuControl 3.1.3 8679628", there a progress bar stuck at about 5-10% that says: "Initializing objects"

The color Avid logo is there, but again nothing is hooked up. (No internet even.)

When I quit the "EuCon network services could not be started" box, the splash screen goes away.

Reboot and the spash screen does not appear when Eucon starts, er, "could not be started" box pops up again.
PT 2018.4 HD / Mac Pro (Late 2013) MacOS 10.12.6 / 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 / 16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 / Mac SSD / Thunderbolt Display / LaCie 5big (JBOD) / 2x-Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 (Dual Unit) / Avid Artist Control
Old 09-29-2014, 07:51 AM

I'm able to recreate the Avid splash screen (with stuck progress bar) all the way back to version 3.0, if I do a complete uninstall including "cleanEuphonixW6" script -- only on first attempted boot of Eucon app. (My Artist Control is not connected.)

Is my version of OS X (10.9.5) just too new?

Again, EuCon crashes after opening (never starts) with: "EuCon network services could not be started"

EuCon is lodged in the System Preferences menu.

PS. Just before I posted this, I had the idea to run the "cleanEuphonixW6" with EuCon installed. It does bring up the Avid splash screen on first try only. (I'm full of exciting new ways to have EuCon not start!) I can read from the splash screen "EuControl 3.1.3 8679628" was "built on Friday, June 20th, 2014". Maybe a new one will be done soon?!
PT 2018.4 HD / Mac Pro (Late 2013) MacOS 10.12.6 / 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 / 16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 / Mac SSD / Thunderbolt Display / LaCie 5big (JBOD) / 2x-Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 (Dual Unit) / Avid Artist Control
Old 09-30-2014, 10:40 AM

Well the Avid-gods must be crazy! Within one business day of my first DUC posts, a new version appears: EuCon 3.2.

It supports up to OS X 10.9.4 -- not my newer OS X 10.9.5.

Classy though. It does the same thing: "EUCON network services could not be started"

However, it asks to send a crash report to Avid with the users e-mail. Any chance AVID will contact me? I'm willing to put in the effort to get EuCon to work, but it's becoming quite taxing.

Am I in EuCon purgatory now? Should I simply wait for a EuCon approved for 10.9.5? It's likely to be some time before all things audio are Yosemite, right?

Thanks for any help... I feel like I see the gates of EuCon heaven off in the distance...
Old 09-30-2014, 01:35 PM

Try going into network preferences and set IPv6 to link-local in advanced, for the Ethernet adaptor that the artist unit is connected to.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:06 PM

Thank you, smelfton.

I just tried that again after a reboot. I've tried every reasonable combination I can think of (i.e., reinstalling, rebooting, changing Ethernet ports, etc.) But no change. EuCon crashes. (The EuCon logo spins in the corner then crashes.)

Looking deep on some threads, I found a gentleman who started EuCon services then turned on his EuCon controller with success. So I thought I could save some steps, if I could just get EuCon to start. And I can't.

My greatest success is, if I run the uninstaller and the "cleanEphonixW5" script from an Avid support page I found, I can get an Avid splash screen that sticks on about 10% on the progress -- on first boot only -- as it crashes. (And I can re-create this down to EuCon 3.0).

I have tried it with the Artist Control hookup up, not hooked up, turned off, turned oh, through the Ethernet router, direct, etc.

Any other ideas? I'd be happy to try.

Thank you for your time.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:07 PM

Are you using an ethernet switch box?
That solved all my problems.

Plugging directly into the mac caused all kinds of issues.

I dunno why, but it works.
They're only about £10.00.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:11 PM

of course your os is not officially supported.
I'm using 10.9.4.

You could install 10.9.4 instead?
Not a great solution I know.

If you look through the forum someone posted a link to a 10.9.4 installer, not sure exactly where?

Hope you get it working.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:38 PM
Avid

Hi unkewl,

Sorry you are having issues. 10.9.5 is not officially qualified yet as it was just release on 9/17. However, we are not really seeing any problems there so I doubt your issue is 10.9.5 specific. Additionally, we aren't seeing any crashes when installing/launching 3.2 on 10.9.5.

Will you try the following?

-Disconnect Artist Control from Mac
-In Library>Preferences delete com.euphonix.install.EuControl.plist
-In User Library>Preferences delete com.euphonix.eucon.plist, com.euphonix.EuConSystem.plist, com.Euphonix.EuControl.plist, and Euphonix folder
-Back up custom Appset (XML file) if you have any in Library>Application Support>Euphonix>UserSets>MC2User>MC_USER_SET_Root , then delete the Euphonix folder in Application Support
-In Applications>Euphonix, uninstall EuControl
-Reboot Mac
-Empty Trash
-Install EuControl 3.2
-EuControl will auto-launch

What happens? If you get a crash, please save crash log and attach it here.

Also, please create a new Admin User Account via System Preferences>Users & Groups and try launching EuControl via that new User Account to see if you still get the crash.

Last, what Ethernet cable are you using? Is is the one that shipped with Artist Control or something else? Can you try a different cable?

Thanks,
Berkeley, CA
Old 10-01-2014, 05:15 PM

Thanks All!

Will try these instructions in detail and report back.

(Three cheers for the fraternal bond of the DUC!)