Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-22-2008, 11:21 PM

Default Which Pitch Correction is Best ?

I was thinking of getting some Pitch Correction . Thought it might make getting Vocal Tracks A Little Easier and More Perfect.

What is the Best one for Vocals or maybe even using on instruments even.

I was looking at

Auto Tune Also What Version 4 or 5 or something else

Waves Tune

Melodyne

Serrato Pitch N Time wasnt for sure if this was Pitch Correction or just Pitch Shifting.

Bias Pitchcraft Also the Whole Bias Bias Master Perfection Suite Audio Plug-in Collection and can i even use this efficiently on my HD system

or is there any others that might be a Possibility

Thanks,
Russell
Old 01-22-2008, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Which Pitch Correction is Best ?

I have Auto Tune 4 and it doe's a pretty good job on automatic. I mostly use the graphical view to see the notes and change what notes I want to manually. I also have Waves lite version, and it works better that Auto tune for me in automatic mode. I had Pitch n Time, it is only pitch shifting, and speed up and slow down things, not pitch correct. I haven't used Melodyne, but some say it works better and easier then Auto Tune. Download some demos and check them out for yourself when you get the time.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:47 PM

I've always used Autotune (now on Version 5 RTAS) going back to 1998 but I never use it in Auto Mode...i always do it graphically and point to point and line by line.

However, it may good to wait for more voices on this question. There are many more salient opinions than mine I'm sure.

As for the products you've listed I've seen/heard some incredible things from Melodyne (especially chording instruments) but the learning curve is pretty steep to my eye. And Chas Sandford here in Nashville loves the new Waves plugin. The others that you mention I have not seen but I'm sure I've heard and just didn't know which it was.

To my ear it's best to do as little as possible. You can suck the life out of a great nuanced vocal take by being anal with it. But when the client wants a whole album worked over I'm happy to oblige. Bear in mind I've never worked on anything but vocals and egregious bass tuning errors that squirrel the track and the occasional slide guitar 'final note'. So I'm no expert.

I know this much: when I listen to some of the country radio stuff I do cringe every now and again and the 'twitter'.

Anyone else got any opinions?

J Fred in Nashville
Old 01-23-2008, 12:02 AM

Thanks Guys

Maybe some more will CHime in

But i was watching some Videos on You Tube on the Melodyne and I kind of like the way it works . But I am hoping for a few more opinions First

Thanks,
Russell
Old 01-23-2008, 01:34 AM

I like Waves Tune, with Melodyne running a close 2nd.

Tune has the most editing features, and tracks difficult material the best. You can do much better than its default pitch correction, if you know how. Tune is convenient within ProTools.

Melodyne does a nice job with pitch, but it does lots more. The plug-in is great for ProTools, and I tend to use it more than the full featured Studio version which requires exporting audio.

Both require learning a few tricks to get the most out of them. If it was easy, everybody would do it.

Autotune 5 is still the best for set and forget auto-tuning.

STeve
Old 01-23-2008, 02:09 AM

Hi,

Melodyne plugin is a must have for vocal, just tune the bits that need tuning.

I really like Pitch Doctor from soundtoys (only TDM and a whole chip) for real time tuning, it creates a lot of delay but i just drag the audio forward and disable the adc on the vocal track etc.

i also use Autotune 4 for realtime tuning, and in RTAS version it is very effecient, i get about 100 instances on my G5 dual 2gig in TDM it takes a whole chip!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:30 AM

Although I have a new HD rig, I still like Pitch Doctor. So simple to automate it. Ho hassles. I just automate the tune paramenter and that it is.

http://www.facebook.com/alecio.costa

PT Ultimate Native 2023.3 - Mac Mini M1 16GB RAM - Mac Os Ventura 13.2 - 2 192 IO Digidesign Digital

PT HD2 Accel - 10.3.10 OS 10.6.8 - Mac Pro 2008 16GB RAM

Mastering Gear: Pendulum Audio, Crane Song, Avalon, Great River, Sebatron, Sonnox, Izotope, PSP, TC, Fab Filter.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:24 AM

Love Waves Tune. Takes some time and patience to tweak things just right, but the results can be fantastic.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:40 AM

I like Melodyne Plug-in. It's true that it takes some time to learn how to use it without making it sound too artificial but it's worth the effort. It's also way easier and more intuitive to use than Autotune graphic mode although I do agree that Autotune is still useful for the occassional set and forget in auto mode.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:47 AM

Melodyne goes way beyond retuning vocals and opens up great creative opportunities, so it gets top marks among the suggestions from me. It looks funky if you don't know it but the learning curve really isn't that steep if you're not allergic to reading. Autotune is pretty much a standard and works pretty well if the vocal is going to end up in a mix. Accapella, it can be heard working pretty clearly, no matter how finely you work it in graphical mode. Autotune lends itself perfectly to whacking out vocals Daft Punk-style, though. I don't know if that's worth anything to you, but it's essential to a lot of my work, personally. For pristine sound, I've heard a lot of good for Waves Tune, but I haven't logged enough time on it to pass a solid judgement. Same goes for the Serato stuff.