Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 03-19-2012, 01:44 PM

Default New Protools Workstation Questions.

Hello, I am fairly new to protools, Last i owned it was back in Protools 8 M-powerd on the PC, then had some computer issues and took a break from recording till now and I want to build a reliable workstation for protools. I have most of my tools such as an Eleven rack audio interface, Protools 10 softwere, Studio monitors and the such, but I am looking for a computer to dedicate all this stuff too.
My first issue was MAC vs PC and it seems both are great, but macs are less of a headache in the end and I am leaning to give Mac a try since I have never before, I know I will get conflicting answers for this question ,b ut is macs price really worth the less of the headache and compatability issues some pc's run into? that is a small issue at the moment my biggest dilema is my choice of macs. Mac Pro MC560ll/z has a 1TB HDD and 3GB of DDR3 ram with an Intel Xeon quad processor. And my other is the I mac 27inch with a 1TB HDD 4GB DDR3 Ram and an I5 quad core. the price diffrence is roughly $600-$700 and after upgrading two HDD's and the Ram of the already exspensive Mac pro it will be roughly $1000 diffrence. My issue in these are is haveing two or more HDD's to dedicate to diffrent things have 12GB ram really going to be worth $1000 in the end or Getting an Imac and running an external HDD (which I know will be a bit slower) be just as good for me so i can use the left over$1000 to upgrade other equipment or pay bills with.

Any imput is great, i am kind of leaning twords sucking it up and going with the Mac Pro, but if my mind can honestly be changed i would not mind an extra $1000 to play with.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:08 PM

Default Re: New Protools Workstation Questions.

I got a MacPro and have never looked back. I was a Window's diehard for over two decades before. Today Protools 10 runs well on both OSX and Windows 7 but I'll have to give the nod to OSX for stability with Protools (fewer variables).

Buy the best processor you can afford and then get your hard drives and memory upgraded from anyone other than Apple to save significant costs. The expansion for hard drives and slots for other cards in the Mac Pro are worth it in my opinion. Keep in mind however the MacPro has not had a significant upgrade in a while and may either be due to be upgraded or there are even rumors that Apple might drop this line of pro workstations. It might be good to see how Apple proceeds before investing a significant amount of money.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:13 PM

Or see the i7 thread in the Pro Tools LE for Windows forum, first page. Build a computer with parts and configurations known to work well with Pro tools because users have already pioneered the builds.

Cheers,
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Old 03-20-2012, 09:38 AM

I orderd The mac pro Intel® Xeon® quad-core processor W3530 computer and may just upgrade it as I go to an I7 processor if possible (once i figure out the motherboard and such after it arrives) and throw in some more ram.
Orderd mac pro since upgrading it seem much better than the Imac and in the long run (if the processor works out) I can upgrade it to the best possible machine for the money since I only shelled out $900 from pocket for the machine brand new.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:10 AM

Woah...Slow down there partner. You can't just pop an i7 in the MacPro. In fact the Xeon processor in there is in many ways superior to an i7. There are so many discussions and CPU comparisons out there that it will make your head spin and still no outright winner. For Protools, the Xeon processor is already great. As far as I know Apple does not make an i7 replacement processor for the MacPro. Spend your money on hard drives and memory and leave the processor alone.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:29 AM

Awesome, thanks for the reply. I have been getting mixed signals about the Xeon people saying I7 was much more suited for protools and such. I will definatley use the Xeon before I replace it ( had a feeling it would be all I needed anyways.) Will upgrade My ram first then my HDD then. Again thanks for the reassurance of the Xeon being enough.