Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2010, 06:12 AM

Default Melodyne Editor

Is this thing buggy as h*** or is it just on all of our rigs? HD, MP, LE -- Doesn't seem to matter. Big time bugs, especially at 96K. Sometimes it doesn't play or stop playing. Pops and clicks. Inconsistent detection. The old version never did this stuff. Back to Autotune I guess........
Jim Morris
Old 02-11-2010, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Melodyne Editor

Hey Jim. Are you using Melodyne as a standalone application, or are you using it as a plugin? I've ALWAYS had issues when trying to use it as a plugin in PT. I only use Melodyne as a standalone app. Way more stable.
[email protected]
Old 02-11-2010, 10:39 AM

I've always used the plug with no problems in PT - as long as you're not in loop-play, or doing other stuff while it's 'printing' into the plug.

Right now there is an operator calling me from the Studio B with issues in 7.4.2 printing one line (on its own track) into Melodyne - before it gets to the detection, PT crashes 'unexpectedly.' I had him trash pref's, repair permissions, drop databases, and import the track into a brand new session. No avail.

The editor I have no idea - we have two free updates to the Editor, but it seems convoluted on their site - it will 'replace' the existing license? Does that mean you can't use the old plug anymore, and HAVE to use the new 'Editor' ?

Please let me know!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:08 AM

This version sucks big time.. The only way we can use it here is to select 1 processor and then after all said and done, record the voc track to a new one then make the original track inactive, then go back and engage both processors..
Old 02-11-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Russell View Post
The editor I have no idea - we have two free updates to the Editor, but it seems convoluted on their site - it will 'replace' the existing license? Does that mean you can't use the old plug anymore, and HAVE to use the new 'Editor' ?

Please let me know!
I own Melodyne 3. I paid for an upgrade to Melodyne Editor and I have the following licenses in my account:

Melodyne editor 1
Melodyne plugin 1
Melodyne studio 3

I never bought an extra license. So for me, I never had to surrender my plug-in license (thank goodness). It would have been a nightmare otherwise because Melodyne Plug-in is soooo much faster regarding workflow than Melodyne Editor is.

See my post here.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 02-11-2010, 12:44 PM

I use Melodyne Plugin in P Tools 8.0.3 with no problems whatsoever. Sounds like the Editor version is not working right yet. As was asked by Sean, does anyone know about whether or not, when you upgrade to the Editor version, you can still use the old Plugin version? It would suck heavily if you had to surrender your Plugin license, thus making the regular Plugin version invalid.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
I use Melodyne Plugin in P Tools 8.0.3 with no problems whatsoever. Sounds like the Editor version is not working right yet. As was asked by Sean, does anyone know about whether or not, when you upgrade to the Editor version, you can still use the old Plugin version? It would suck heavily if you had to surrender your Plugin license, thus making the regular Plugin version invalid.
That is what happens. And yes it sux.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:58 PM

Yah, just went to the Celemony site and lo and behold, Melodyne Plugin is listed as a discontinued plugin. No further updates. What the? I had the beta version of Editor but never used it much. Apparently neither did anyone else. Looks like we're screwed if any OS updates render the present version of the Plugin inoperable. Our choice is to pay a fee to upgrade to something that doesn't work. Awesome!
Old 02-11-2010, 04:49 PM

Well, that blows. As much as I want to check out the new Editor, I can't lose the old plugin version. Right now that's 1.042 (and Digi's site says 1.03 is what's compatible with 8.0.3 !!)

If it's a 'plugin OR editor' decision, I guess I'll freeze lock the last PT version that will run 1.042. What a drag.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:59 PM

I am using the editor with 8.03 with no problems
it sounds better than the plugin
I used to have lots of crashes with the plugin, not any more...
the polyphonic feature saved my arse a couple of times
am I the only one?