Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools SE and Essential (Win)

Old 10-17-2010, 11:56 AM

Default White noise bursts

Hi.
I've just bought an m-audio fast track mkII usb with pro tools essential 8.0.3.
Even though i have an old and low powered system (under the minimum system requirements for pro tools m-powered 8), everything installed ok and the fast track as a great sound. It works great with my other daws (cubase le4 and samplitude 10 se).
The problem is that i'm having random white noise bursts in playback with pro tools essential 8.0.3...i've tried all the optimizations suggested by avid (except hardware upgrades cause i'm out of money) but with no success...This happens even with just one mono audio track without plugins and latency/buffers set to the higher settings.
I know my system is not supported (celeron m530 processor laptop and just one sata 5400rpm hard drive with 2 partitions) but reading the extensive foruns about this problem i do believe that maybe it's a pro tools problem (i've tried to record 5 mono audio tracks and 4 instrument tracks with cpu usage at 40% and hard drive at 2%...everything seems to work ok except these random white noise bursts).
I've read that with the 8.0.4 update this problem was finally fixed but there is no such update for pro tools essential, so my question is:
Is it possible for pro tools essential users to have the 8.0.4 update?
Thanks
Old 10-25-2010, 06:01 AM

Default Re: White noise bursts

Is there anyone running pro tools essentials 8.0.3 (meeting the minimum system requirements) with the white noise bursts problem?

If yes, did you find a solution?

If not, is there a way to contact avid support? I've tried to register for obtain support but it asks for an ilok account id and with pro tools essentials there is no ilok key...

Thanks, i'm a newbie here...
Old 10-29-2010, 10:33 AM

Default Re: White noise bursts (SOLVED)

Hi.
I just want to say that i've solved my problem with the random white noise bursts!
The solution was to set "Adjust for best performance" under Visual Effects (System Properties - Performance Options - Visual Effects) in Windows XP Home Edition.
So now i'm running a small test project in Pro Tools Essential with 3 stereo Instrument Tracks (drums, piano, synth) and 10 mono Audio Tracks with some effects (1 SansAmp, 1 D-Verb and 1 EQ 3 Band) without any problems :)

Don't forget to have your Wireless disabled.
Hope this helps someone facing the same problem than i was.
(Sorry for my poor english)

EDIT: After all this "fix" doesn't work!
Old 03-01-2011, 06:18 PM

Hey! I have the exact same problem on PT LE 8.0.4 in Win 7 64bits using an Mbox 3 Mini...

So it worked for you or didn't???

Please, if someone knows how to solve this noise, please tell me!

Everytime it happens, I have to close and open the session and it goes better...
Old 03-03-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vile View Post
Hey! I have the exact same problem on PT LE 8.0.4 in Win 7 64bits using an Mbox 3 Mini...

So it worked for you or didn't???

Please, if someone knows how to solve this noise, please tell me!

Everytime it happens, I have to close and open the session and it goes better...
Sorry to say this, but no, it didn't work! I still have the white noise bursts (and also that crap error message "raise the asio buffer size or disable some rtas plugins" even when the cpu rtas usage is as low as 5% and near zero disk usage)! My solution was to return to my good old Cubase LE4.

I thought that the 8.0.4 update had solved the white noise issue for "full versions" of Protools...have you tried the 8.0.4cs2 update? It's available here: http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=378391

8.0.4cs2 doesn't specify anything about white noise issues but maybe it will solve your problem (i advice you to backup everything and create a system restore point before you install the cs update...sometimes these updates mess up with your system)...

Also, you should post in LE forum...you will have more chances of getting help there
I hope you can solve your problem.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:35 AM

hi
I have the fast track pro USB and i had the same problem with the white noise.
I solved it like this:
1- turn off your USB device (e.g. fast track pro etc.)
2- Put your computer on sleep (Start>from shut down menu choose Sleep)
3- Wake up the PC
4- Turn on your USB device again...
Congratulation!! white noise is gone...
I tested this method more thatn 20 times.
My Devices:
- HP TX2500Z Laptop
- AMD turion X2 - ultra 64
- 4 GB RAM
- Software:
- Pro-tools SE
- Pro-tools M-powered 7.4 CS3
- Ableton live 6.1
- Sonar Producer X1
- Sound forge 10
- Keyboard:
- Korg Pa-800
Old 06-20-2011, 12:51 PM

I'm having the same issue with my Mbox 3 Mini, I get random white noise bursts when I initiate sound playback from any folder in Finder, when starting a song in iTunes sometimes or even when editing using Izotope RX.
It always happens at the beginning of playback and it's really annoying.

Never had this issue using my Apogee Duet.

I'm using
iMac Late 2010
3.2GHz Intel Core i3
4GB RAM

Last edited by Javier Quesada; 06-20-2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: forgot system specs