Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-03-2009, 08:00 PM

Default importing OMF with pro tools 8

Hey guys,

I have been using pro tools for years, but this is my first time using it for this purpose. I am working on a project with a friend. he is editing the video and I am cleaning up the audio and laying in some music. He sent me an OMF file so that all the audio parts will be timed to the video so I can at least follow along.

However, I can't get the omf file to open. I am just looking to import the omf, i don't need anything else fancy, no need to export it or anything. Will pro tools 8.0 do this? i see many other programs out there that can handle this right out of the box.

The error that I am getting is that I don't have the avid engine installed, but again I just want to import the audio. Any ideas?
Old 02-03-2009, 08:31 PM

Default Re: importing OMF with pro tools 8

you can't do it without additional cash outlay (digi style).

Used to be you could get the digitranslator as a standalone add-on:
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...15&itemid=4873

(or check ebay)

I think with PT 8 it is only available as part of the much more expensive Production Toolkit. I am not positive, though.

SSL also makes a (pretty expensive) translation software suite.
http://www.solidstatelogic.com/post/...vert/index.asp

Or you could switch for this project to one of the many audio production environments that supports OMF out of the box!

Or else there may be a way for your colleague to consolidate his files so they all have the same start time. Just depends on the level of access you need to what is already there - not a problem if you are just layering things on top.
other people's music:
www.headphonomenon.com
Old 02-03-2009, 08:45 PM

wow, $500 just to import audio files? no way will I pay that. my friend has sonar, i will just have him open the files up and give me the wav's

thanks for the help.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:28 PM

yep, I feel the same way!

Sorry I didn't have better news...
other people's music:
www.headphonomenon.com
Old 02-03-2009, 10:20 PM

On the LE side of things the usual recommend for Post work is DVTOOLKIT which includes OMF import and the ability to read timecode along with added track count.

I understand the $ hurts but it works very well and they have not asked for upgrade cash for several years now. As I understand it even Nuendo has to use a third party conversion app.

If you can translate it in Sonar that's a solution. Be sure to put a 2 pop at the head of your tracks so you can line up sync when you import them into PT.

Welcome to the country club... as you're finding out there are extra dues.

Wilson Dyer mpse
Old 02-04-2009, 07:36 AM

Thanks for the help guys. Once I get paid for the project, I might use the money to get the DVtoolkit. Thanks again!
Old 02-04-2009, 09:11 AM

I took the plunge of buying the DV Toolkit 2 after waiting for 3 years for the money to come along - really made me feel drained and it was [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ty trying to explain to my wife that I had spent $$$ on software.

But on the bright side of things I am mega happy with the features of PT8 with DVT2 feels pretty powerfull.

It the automation glide and the automation snapshots that make not just post batter but music too - love replace region command, timecode 1 ands 2 - video universe, 64 tracks,video tracks import OMF, AAF, and MXF.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepad View Post
As I understand it even Nuendo has to use a third party conversion app.
Incorrect. Import and export of OMF are standard features in both Nuendo and full versions of Cubase.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:41 PM

Why can't you just export (in Logic) as audio files and drag the files into a new Pro Tools session?
Old 08-14-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Why can't you just export (in Logic) as audio files and drag the files into a new Pro Tools session?
If all the audio files started at the same point then you could if it was to be used for music. In the real world though audio files are seconds long after edits etc and can come in at any time.

If it was audio referenced to timecode then you really, really need the OMF as then your audio might be out of sync when you mixed it later on.