Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2009, 03:41 PM

Default white noise bursts

This is difficult to track down because it's very intermittent . It's very dramatic though. I periodically get a white noise burst that is extremely loud during record and I believe play back as well. It reminds me of corrupt data on a drive but it is not repeatable . Never the same place twice. anyone ever run into this one?

Thanks
Old 08-16-2009, 07:22 PM

Default Re: white noise bursts

I had this problem for a while... can't remember exactly what I did, but, have you updated all of your plugins?
Old 08-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Avid

You might want to read this thread which has an exhaustive list of various white noise issues and their solutions.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedpartle View Post
This is difficult to track down because it's very intermittent . It's very dramatic though. I periodically get a white noise burst that is extremely loud during record and I believe play back as well. It reminds me of corrupt data on a drive but it is not repeatable . Never the same place twice. anyone ever run into this one?

Thanks
Yes, I have had this problem a number of times over the years.

Once a reseat of the card jumper cables fixed the problem.

Another time I was a particular combination of plugins. . . I forget the details.

Another time there was a problem with my Cards and digi had me send in the core and process cards and replace them all (the computer also would not startup once in awhile when the cards were installed).

On one project it happened frequently when doing a "save copy in" using sessions from a clients LE systemr. . . I never did find the problem that time.

Recently the noise blast came up again, sometimes when consolidating regions. I would hear the blast, but it would not show in the waveform. However using the regenerate waveforms function (region bin menu) would show it.

ProTools remains must more tempermental than I would like. . . I remain on PT 7.4 as my copy of PT 8 gathers dust.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:11 PM

It hasn't acted up now for quite some time. Although I still feel it may be hard drive dependent . I've worked on a variety of projects on different drives and it's been well behaved. I did see that I had file sharing on from transferring some files computer to computer. I've had weird things happen with file sharing in the past so I try not to keep it active. I'm going to pretend that was the problem until it acts up again.
Thanks for all the input.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:21 PM

my first place to look would be your audio interface/hardware failure and not a software problem...run diagnostic on that to make sure there's no intermittent card issues that would make this happen...and is it really white noise or pink noise or digi noise?...there is a difference

J Fred in Nashville
Old 08-25-2009, 06:29 AM

I really think the Digi engineers should be able to incorporate some safety aspect into ProTools, so that should any white noise (or indeed any noise that approaches 0dBFs) is muted automatically, no matter what the cause of the problem is. I'm really surprised there haven't been any legal cases about hearing loss due to white noise bursts. I'm not sure "well it was the Firewire card" is a good enough defence in a court of law.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
You might want to read this thread which has an exhaustive list of various white noise issues and their solutions.
DTS has given what is needed... No need to start a whole nother thread Duc'sters...

Thatz what bumps are for...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 08-25-2009, 11:45 PM

I had this issue today. I had a dust bunny at one of the connector ends of my flexi cable. Cleaned and reseated... Problem gone!

I've also had issues with white noise when using the DSP Cache in PT8.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:22 AM

Also be sure to check for hard-drive fragmentation.....that stuff builds up quickly and can also cause white noise and static.