Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2013, 10:01 AM

Default recording with out a vocal booth help

im not new to protools but i need help understanding something regarding to mixing vocals that are not recorded in a vocal booth. i my self have a vocal booth but i engineer other artist session from time to time that cant afford a vocal booth or a high budget like my self. this is basically like a job and i have clients that send me sessions all the time. this one client sends me sessions but the problem is he dont record in a vocal booth, he records in a open area in his room. the sound is clean, no if, ands, or buts. the only problem is his vocals have allota access reverb and delay in it while dry. im guessing its because he dont have a booth or no kind of acoustics to keep his vocals from bouncing on the walls and all over the place. its getting to the point where its beginning to be a challenge and could possibly mess my reputation up as a engineer because i never had to deal with that before because im use to artist recording in a advanced studio with a vocal booth and then sending me the sessions, or recording in my studio and im making sure it comes out correct. what i need to know is how can i dial out that access reverb and delay noise in the vocals. make it sound more dry and raw instead of trying to add reverb on top of reverb. it doesnt sound right to me at all. it makes your vocals sound real light as well. and i know its a way to do it because i watched many industry artist on youtube record with just a cheap mbox and no vocal booth. i actually listened to some of the songs after being mixed and you cant tell one bit that it was recorded the way it was. i know its some kind of plugin u can use, or some kind of way u can dial it out using a EQ. please help me, i am desperately in need of it
Old 09-25-2013, 10:30 AM

Default Re: recording with out a vocal booth help

There are some de-reverberate plugs out there.
EQ is not enough.

RX3 and I'm forgetting the other one, check the Post & Surround section.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 09-25-2013, 10:52 AM

Zynaptiq(not sure on the spelling) can remove some room sound and they have a free 14 day trial. Now you need to get these singers to create a bit of isolation for future tracks that sound better. I would look at the Primacoustic Vox Guard to put behind the mic. Then have them set a tall stand and boom behind them, with the boom forming the top of a "T". Drape a moving blanket over that and set it 2-3 feet behind them. Moving blankets are cheap at Lowes, Home Depot or Harbor Freight.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-03-2013, 09:13 AM

The sustain control on a Transient Designer is great for lessening room sound on a vocal. There are plugin versions as well.
For future reference, tell your "clients" to put up some packing blankets or any room deadening materials when they record vocals.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:14 AM

Sorry Albee,

I missed your post.