Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2011, 11:11 AM

Question PT9 and PT9HD

I am confused here. I was sold two different software packages. One is Pro Tools 9 with 9.0.2 on the install disk, the other one with simply Pro Tools 9 on it. They both came with an iLok key.

Why does the second package not identify that it is the HD version and where would the productivity software that is suppose to come with HD???? SINCE I AM RUNNING LION ON ALL MY MACHINES, NONE OF THE SOFTWARE WILL RUN ANYWAY, BUT I JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE I DIDN'T GET CHEATED ON ONE OF THESE. Can anyone set me straight on this. Thanks for your time.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:28 AM

Default Re: PT9 and PT9HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
I am confused here. I was sold two different software packages. One is Pro Tools 9 with 9.0.2 on the install disk, the other one with simply Pro Tools 9 on it. They both came with an iLok key.

Why does the second package not identify that it is the HD version and where would the productivity software that is suppose to come with HD???? SINCE I AM RUNNING LION ON ALL MY MACHINES, NONE OF THE SOFTWARE WILL RUN ANYWAY, BUT I JUST WANTED TO MAKE SURE I DIDN'T GET CHEATED ON ONE OF THESE. Can anyone set me straight on this. Thanks for your time.
The license dictates what is running, not the software.

PT9 installer is for all versions. Install it on an HD machine with an HD license and it will run PT9HD.
Install the same software on a machine without AVID cards, and it will run PT9 or PT9 with complete toolkit 2 if you are using an HD license.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:45 AM

I see, so basically I could use either of the software installs that I have and whatever license is on the iLok is what will dictate if it is HD or not?

I was also told that 9 HD would work on a system without the proprietary hardware. Is that a true statement?
Old 07-26-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
I see, so basically I could use either of the software installs that I have and whatever license is on the iLok is what will dictate if it is HD or not?

I was also told that 9 HD would work on a system without the proprietary hardware. Is that a true statement?
Yes. PT9HD license is the same as PT9 with Complete Toolkit 2. You don't get all the HD features without the HD hardware, like limited to 32 I/O.

So, if you go from your HD system, to a laptop with built in sound card, you still get VCA, the automation features, 192 tracks, busses ect.

LEX
Old 07-26-2011, 12:27 PM

Excellent. Thanks for clearing that up for me. It's a little overwhelming when you are just starting out. Thanks again.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:15 PM

You need to do a little more digging...

You can't just buy PT9 HD; it is only "sold" with HD hardware.

You should check your iLoks to see exactly what licenses are there...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 07-26-2011, 04:26 PM

Also to add that either version will work without a Avid/Digi interface or hardware.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 07-26-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
You need to do a little more digging...

You can't just buy PT9 HD; it is only "sold" with HD hardware.

You should check your iLoks to see exactly what licenses are there...
Not true.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 07-26-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
Not true.
Very much true...

PT reads your iLok to determine what license you have and gives you the licensed features based on the hardware you have.
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 07-26-2011, 06:45 PM

You can't walk into Guitar Center, ask for PT9 HD and get it. It comes with hardware or through the upgrade option but you have to surrender a PT 7 or 8 HD license in order to get it to your iLok.

I have both the PT9 and complete and the PT9HD, and the licenses are different on the iLoks.