Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2010, 10:13 AM

Default Computer crashing on boot up

We recently upgraded to Snow Leopard, and protools 8.03. We have a dual quad core 3ghz mac with 26 gigs of ram and we are running a magma expansion chassis to house our 6 protools cards. We have never had any issues, but recently after upgrading to all the latest software versions we will occasionally get a crash when we turn on our computer. The computer doesn't make it past the gray boot-up screen before we get the screen of death. this will happen multiple times (averages about six) before the computer finally makes it through the boot process. Once booted up everything seems to work fine.

The last few times it has happened I have shut down the computer and tried booting with the expansion chassis powered off. It boots up normally. I can then turn the computer back off and reboot as normal, and that saves me from having to reboot multiple times. This leads me to believe that the issue lies with some sort of miscommunication between the expansion chassis and the computer.

Has anybody else had any similar problems, or any advice on how to permanently solve this issue. I can work around it for now, but I would really like everything to be normal and happy.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Computer crashing on boot up

Quote:
Originally Posted by colosnd View Post
We recently upgraded to Snow Leopard, and protools 8.03. We have a dual quad core 3ghz mac with 26 gigs of ram and we are running a magma expansion chassis to house our 6 protools cards. We have never had any issues, but recently after upgrading to all the latest software versions we will occasionally get a crash when we turn on our computer. The computer doesn't make it past the gray boot-up screen before we get the screen of death. this will happen multiple times (averages about six) before the computer finally makes it through the boot process. Once booted up everything seems to work fine.

The last few times it has happened I have shut down the computer and tried booting with the expansion chassis powered off. It boots up normally. I can then turn the computer back off and reboot as normal, and that saves me from having to reboot multiple times. This leads me to believe that the issue lies with some sort of miscommunication between the expansion chassis and the computer.

Has anybody else had any similar problems, or any advice on how to permanently solve this issue. I can work around it for now, but I would really like everything to be normal and happy.
Have you tried..
1 reseating the connections between the chasis and the computer.. restart a couple of times
2 changing the connector cable... restart a couple of times
3 Then remove all cards from the chassis.. restart a few times
4 then restart a couple of times after adding each card back... till you find the one possibly causing the issue
Old 04-26-2010, 11:32 AM

Default Re: Computer crashing on boot up

We bought a new PT rig and Digidesign EB7 chassis didn't work with Snow Leopard. Computer and PT started fine, but when we used more than 1 slot to allocate voices, a lot of noises occured. We had to downgrade system software to 10.5.8, now everything is ok.

Mix Stage 2 PT HDX2 Ultimate 2023.6 S6 MTRX I/O Hackintosh i7 8700K 32 Gb RAM OSX 12.6.7

Mix Stage 3 PT HDX Ultimate 2023.6 D-Command HD I/O Hackintosh i7 8700K 32 Gb RAM OSX 12.6.7

ADR PT MBox Studio Ultimate 2023 Mac Mini M1 8 Gb RAM OSX 13.4.1

Edit 1 PT HDN PCIe 2023.6 96 I/O Intel i7 6700K 32 Gb RAM.OS Windows 10

Estúdio JLS Facilidades Sonoras
São Paulo - Brazil