Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2002, 07:21 AM

Default Studio Setup Guru\'s help wanted

I have Pt le 001 on a dual 400 G4 mac, a trinity plus keyboard, and a Mpc2000. I want to be able to connect the mpc2000 and the trinity as slaves to the 001. In thoery I want to be able to record midi data from the mpc to protools so I will be able to edit them in protools. The Trinity is my sound module. I want to be able to use the sample sequencing power of the mpc and the editing power of Pt together. You guys know what I'm tring to do. Thanks in advance [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2002, 08:47 AM

Default Re: Studio Setup Guru\'s help wanted

IF your Trinity is your sound module (i.e. you're NOT using it as a controller) and you want to record MIDI data from the MPC, you could simply connect the MIDI OUT from your MPC to the MIDI IN on your 001, the MIDI OUT on the 001 to the MIDI IN on your trinity and the MIDI THRU on the Trinity to the MIDI IN on your MPC (plus all the audio connections).

However, I'm sure at least every once in a while you'll want to record MIDI from the Trinity, so try this configuration: Trinity MIDI OUT to MPC MIDI IN. MPC MIDI OUT to 001 MIDI IN (and be sure to route MIDI IN to MIDI OUT on the MPC). Then run the MIDI OUT on the 001 to the MIDI IN on your Trinity (make sure you disable MIDI thru in PT, to avoid MIDI loops. I don't remember exactly how to do this, but you shouldn't have a problem figuring it out). Then make all the audio connections and we're rolling!

Whatever you do, remember to save your new OMS studio setup and click on the "Make Current" option under the File menu. Otherwise it just won't work.

The only drawback to all of this, is dealing with the limitations of having only 16 MIDI channels you have to share with two different pieces of equipment, having to configure them differently for every song, etc, etc... Have you considered getting a MIDI interface? A basic 2-IN / 2-OUT interface should work fine for your purposes.

Good luck,

Al K.