Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2013, 09:44 AM

Default Re: PT 8 LE writing every single file fragmented

If its not to much trouble could you post the SiSoft Sandra system "overview" before you do anything drastic?

Also you might try downloading the WD diagnostic utility, burning it to disk and running an analysis on the disks from outside of windows. Might turn up something. You may have a copy from your disks packaging or Rain. I believe the name of the program is Data Lifeguard.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-18-2013, 11:34 AM

Thank for the replies. I nuked the entire machine down to the bios defaults and repartitioned and formatted the hard drives and loaded Windows and PT back up from scratch. Too early to tell but we'll see. Strange problem that nobody's ever heard of other than I've seen a couple internet posts about NTFS writing fragments. I changed my audio drive to exFAT and bumped the sector size way up figuring I had nothing to lose, disk space not an issue. If this fails I think I'll have to go to a solid state drive for my audio next. Thanks again.
8 GB Ram
2 X WDC 640 GB
Windows 7 Pro
Digi 003
Old 01-18-2013, 12:06 PM

I'm not sure whether PT supports ExFAT actually. I think I would have left it NTFS.

I suspect that no ones heard of it simply because its not a common issue with Windows or NTFS. I would like to know the root cause though.

Also unless something's changed recently PT and SSD Audio drives may not play nice together. Sample's love SSD's, Windows loves SSD's as boot drive's. Audio Playback should be fine but the small files that get written the audio drive while recording are the types of files SSD'd least like.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-27-2013, 02:39 PM

Unfortunately, the Rain guys are stumped too. I've been working on this with them for 20 months with no success. I nuked the entire machine and rebuilt Windows from scratch but still won't work. I have to say I spent a ludicrous amount of money on a music supercomputer that can't handle a simple Pro Tools session, unless is is a PT 8 LE specific problem but since nobody on planet earth has ever heard of this I find that unlikely. Very disappointing, I am seriously considering throwing in the towel and selling the Rain and just buying a gaming computer for 1/4 of the price. It is literally useless for Pro Tools.
8 GB Ram
2 X WDC 640 GB
Windows 7 Pro
Digi 003
Old 01-27-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocker61 View Post
Unfortunately, the Rain guys are stumped too. I've been working on this with them for 20 months with no success. I nuked the entire machine and rebuilt Windows from scratch but still won't work. I have to say I spent a ludicrous amount of money on a music supercomputer that can't handle a simple Pro Tools session, unless is is a PT 8 LE specific problem but since nobody on planet earth has ever heard of this I find that unlikely. Very disappointing, I am seriously considering throwing in the towel and selling the Rain and just buying a gaming computer for 1/4 of the price. It is literally useless for Pro Tools.
Don't go blindly buying another PC. The wrong parts will give you nothing but misery(as if you haven't had enough). I'm still unclear on how you decided that all your files are fragged? In any case, for future reference, AMD is not the way to go. i7 socket 2011 is the king of the hill these days. Socket 1366 is "old" but well-proven. Socket 1155 and 1156 are a crapshoot, so I would not go with either of those.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-27-2013, 07:01 PM

May be I've missed it, but what exactly are the problems you are having that are making PT unusable? I mean, you say you're are having these fragmentation issues, but what specifically is the result?
Old 01-27-2013, 11:21 PM

I'm still thinking the most logical reason for this is a bad chipset driver or chipset issue. Or a bad disk controller on the HDD. Of a format issue. Check with WD for a drive firmware update. Since both drives are that same why not try another brand drive as a audio drive? And I would try NTFS.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 01-28-2013, 09:03 AM

I thought NTFS was required for 8 and up. Also, IIRC Avid recommends 32k clusters.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 01-28-2013, 09:35 AM

Default PT 8 LE writing every single file fragmented

You should have stayed with NTFS, and I don't see any reason to suspect the initial errors are due to what you think is a fragmentation problem. I would very carefully go over all the standard optimizations and troubleshooting steps. What exact ones have you done/tried? Does this happen with new sessions? Does this happen with all plugin files removed from Pro Tools? Does this happen after a Pro Tools clean uninstall and reinstall? What are all your playback engine settings?

Darryl