Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 05-15-2021, 08:08 AM

Default Using onboard digital keyboard sounds for MIDI sounds

I have researched this but have not found the answer - so my apologies for a basic question. I want to use my Kawai MP9500 sounds in MIDI tracks - not just as the controller - but I want the actual sounds to be in the MIDI track so I can edit these and then the MP9500 sounds are the actual sounds I am working with. In other words, the 9500 would become a VI. It works great to control my other virtual instruments but it does not show up on the VI list as an instrument itself. I looked in Peripheral in the set up and the keyboard does not show up. I am using a DIGI 002 Rack (I know its old but it works). What am I missing? Windows 10, PT 2021.3.1. I have been a PT user since 2002 and feel foolish that I cannot figure this out. Rightly so, huh?
Old 05-15-2021, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Using onboard digital keyboard sounds for MIDI sounds

MIDI has no sound. MIDI is only data.

If you want the sound from the MP9500 in Pro Tools, you have to connect audio cables from the output of the keyboard to the input of the 002 and create an Audio track (or Aux) set to the inputs you have the cables plugged into.

You could use an Instrument track for the MIDI, but you could also use a MIDI track instead.

Set the input and output of the MIDI track to your MP9500, which I'm guessing would be the MIDI ports of the 002.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 05-15-2021, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
MIDI has no sound. MIDI is only data.

If you want the sound from the MP9500 in Pro Tools, you have to connect audio cables from the output of the keyboard to the input of the 002 and create an Audio track (or Aux) set to the inputs you have the cables plugged into.

You could use an Instrument track for the MIDI, but you could also use a MIDI track instead.

Set the input and output of the MIDI track to your MP9500, which I'm guessing would be the MIDI ports of the 002.
Thank you very much for the reply. Yes, I have audio going out from the 9500 into wav tracks in PT. I can also control any of my VI plug ins with the 9500 as well through MIDI. I just can't create an Instrument track or MIDI track that loops back to my 9500 in which the 9500 would, in a sense, be the VI. I will experiment as you mentioned with the inputs and outputs of the 9500. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
Old 05-15-2021, 06:36 PM

In mixer window, set it to show "Instruments" (along w/inserts, sends...). And make shure your midi/inst track is set to the Kawai, there in the instrument in and out settings.
Old 05-16-2021, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
In mixer window, set it to show "Instruments" (along w/inserts, sends...). And make shure your midi/inst track is set to the Kawai, there in the instrument in and out settings.
Ahh..thank you. I think I may be getting close. Now I just need to set up the Kawai to where it shows as an instrument. My best guess is that this is done in "peripherals" in the SETUP tab. I will experiment more. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2021, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw88keys View Post
Ahh..thank you. I think I may be getting close. Now I just need to set up the Kawai to where it shows as an instrument. My best guess is that this is done in "peripherals" in the SETUP tab. I will experiment more. Thanks!
No, Peripherals is not where you setup keyboards. That happens under Setup>Midi>Midi Instruments. The crucial setting there is the INPUT PATH so Pro Tools knows where to "look for" incoming midi data

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave