Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 03-16-2021, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Which IP ports for AVID Control?

That solved it! Thanks for your help!
Old 04-06-2021, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
Thats the official Avid line (we can't support virtual interfaces) but I'm the Product Manager/Designer so am interested in the use case and whether we can get it to work etc. So please ping back if you every get to do the Bonjour test on EUCON.
Hi Eddie,

so I finally had some time to test this out further. As a quick recap: I was trying to get Eucon to work across 2 subnets (VLANs) and it seemed like mDNS (Bonjour) wasn't getting across so you recommended to use Discovery to see if the iPad shows up there.
It actually does but still the Eucon App on the MacPro still won't see it.

So here's my "lab" setup:

iPad on a test SSID on my Ubiquity AP AC Pro access point (it's the only device on that SSID). This SSID is assigned to an isolated test VLAN50. On the AP I have IGMP snooping on and turned off blocking of broadcast traffic from wire to wifi. This VLAN is at 10.10.50.0/24

The Mac running PT is on VLAN21 (10.10.21.0/24).

I have avahi running on the firewall which repeats mDNS across both VLANs for discovery and I've allowed IP and UDP traffic between the MacPro and the iPad.

No virtual interfaces involved this time. Access port from switch to physical ethernet interfaces on the Mac.

I have the discovery app open and as soon as I start AVID Control on my iPad I can see that pop up in discovery on the MacPro so Bonjour is definitely coming across. I force quit AVID Control and it's gone, launch it on the iPad and it shows up immediately. So basically the MacPro sees the app. But for some reason the Eucon App just does not show AVID control under "All surfaces".

I can also ping the iPad from the MacPro via terminal.

I wish I could get this to work as I want to be able to be able to give iPads controlled access to the network and "consumer type" setups with home routers added to every room is just too scary as they just add potential doors to the network.

Should Eucon not see the iPad as long as it reports to Bonjour?

Or is the conclusion that the Mac and Ipad just have to be on the same subnet even if the firewall rules perfectly allow both devices to see each other? Can Eucon just not establish a connection even when Bonjour allows them to discover each other?

What's also remarkable is that when I use the Spanner plugin and the Spancontrol app on the iPad (which also uses Bonjour) it works like a charm even across the two subnets so there must be some odd traffic that's being blocked.

My personal conclusion about this it that EC and AVID Control are unable to communicate with each other even when being given their addresses via mDNS (Bonjours) successfully. Seems like communication to addresses on a different subnet simply isn't implemented? Is this the case. Would be a great piece of info to have so I can stop investigating ;-)

If that's true it's a bit of a bummer as it would mean that you always have to expose your network to Wifi in some way without any way of applying firewall rules which isn't great from a network safety POV.

Many thanks!

Frank.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 04-06-2021 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:26 AM
Avid

Your assumptions are correct. We did look at EUCON across wider networks but it was deemed such a big job that features and bugs fixing would suffer and the market need was small compared to other workflows.
I don't understand the worry about individual routers, these can be locked down pretty well.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:11 AM

Thanks for confirming Eddie, that's very helpful and I'll stop experimenting now :)

The thing with additional routers for every room just for Eucon is that it makes things overly complex to maintain. I was hoping to be able to setup rules in a centralised way and have a single point of control over where packets can go. Especially with the cheese graters it becomes increasingly tricky to setup networks because a couple of audio apps just won't work over virtual interfaces (Dante DVS, Eucon just to name the most important ones) and just have to be on a single physical NIC in order to work at all. So it becomes a bit tricky if to want to fence off servers on your LAN from Wifi access and Dante etc.
I was hoping to find an elegant way to put all wifi Eucon traffic on it's own subnet that allows me to block any access to other networks via Wifi. As you know WPA2 isn't the greatest protocol in terms of security. So I started this little project.

But I'll have another brain storm and see how I can isolate Eucon in another way.

Thanks for your quick response!

Frank.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:16 AM
Avid

Avid Control should be able to connect to a single wifi network, as long as the WS are on that network. The the Control Surfaces can then connect using a basic switch(self assigned) to the individual WS.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
But I'll have another brain storm and see how I can isolate Eucon in another way.
Hey Frank, did you find a solution yet? I found this thread, because I also got my WiFi in a separate VLAN and no connection between iPad and EuControl. I checked with the Discovery app on my iPad and all the Eucon stuff shows up, so mDNS is working. I‘ll probably end up merging the WiFi and studio network to make Avid Control work, but if you did came up with something that works on two subnets I’d be very interested!

Cheers
Vincent
Old 04-27-2021, 01:48 PM

Hi there,

long story cut short:

All Eucon devices incl. the ProTools rig need to be on the same network segment AND Eucon won't work over virtual interface (tagged VLAN) added to your (other) physical network interface. Even if mDNS (bonjour) is broadcast across 2 different VLANS Eucon will not be able to connect even if your firewall has pass rules for inter-VLAN routing. Even if you can ping from VLAN1 one to your iPAD in VLAN 2 they won't be able to connect (see my earlier posting above). Even if Discovery sees all of them.
You have to put all of them on the same VLAN, there is no other way I'm afraid. If you're out of en ports a USB-EN-dongle can help.
Also make sure that you're not blocking broadcast traffic to your wifi AP. Some APs default to blocking that as it avoids flooding Wifi with broadcast traffic but in a smaller setup that's a non-issue.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:01 PM

Thanks for your reply! Just what I thought. The last option I can think of would be a wired connection to the switch (untagged interface) which hopefully works with PT. When I’m done mixing, I’d just unplug the dongle, turn on WiFi and use the iPad as always. I’ll try that tomorrow.

Edit: It works! Can connect my iPad to EuControl via Ethernet. Very cool!

Last edited by NewHere; 04-28-2021 at 03:31 AM.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:04 PM

USB to Ethernet adapter with the camera kit is the way to go if you want to avoid using WiFi.
Old 05-15-2021, 02:16 PM

Hello,
We're not able to put individual routers on our networks nor implement WiFi. IT security is an issue. We do as Luke suggested making the iPads hard wired.
Hugh