Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 02-15-2019, 03:05 AM

Default Re: 32 Channel IO Limit.. WHY?

Well then perhaps Avid marketing dept. is thinking Dante users are using another DAW? Guys everyone knows there is no other explanation than marketing dept. wanting to make a difference between Avid and 3rd party interface users.

Even us Ultimate users have to bear with it when using 3rd party stuff. So there you go, the "why" part is answered. Better question would be "why not lifting the limit?"
Old 02-15-2019, 11:43 AM

I'm not sure that anyone in Avid even knows what Dante is.

Their sole Dante product is that expansion card for the MTRX, which was probably built by the DAD people in the first place.

And then there's the fact that probably non one in the Avid marketing department has ever done any sort of audio production at all, so why would they even have a clue what the current state of the technology is.

When I moved up from vanilla to Ultimate and HD Native, I knew what I was getting in to and what it would take financially to get there. I managed to find deals on everything, even the Red 8Pre (although it took almost 2 months for it to arrive because my vendor was back ordered). The DigiLink I/O license was the only thing that I had to pay full retail price for. And I agree it's stupid. Even more stupid that you still have to buy it if you buy the Avid HD I/O hard ware.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 02-15-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Even more stupid that you still have to buy it if you buy the Avid HD I/O hard ware.
You don’t. You get it for free
Old 02-15-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
You don’t. You get it for free
No you don't, you get it bundled in the price seriously though, a clever way to avoid dropping chassis price by 299 .. instead of selling the license once for a customer they now get to sell it once with every interface
Old 02-15-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
No you don't, you get it bundled in the price seriously though, a clever way to avoid dropping chassis price by 299 .. instead of selling the license once for a customer they now get to sell it once with every interface
And, if I understand correctly, Avid won't let you resell the Digilink i/o license. So if you buy multiple interfaces or decide to sell your interfaces, then you can't sell it to the new owner? And can't sell your car extra license on the secondary market. Otherwise, we'd probably see a bunch of them for sale. And I looked and didn't see any.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Old 02-15-2019, 04:19 PM

I have let myself understand that there is a registration card in the Avid HD interface box. Whoever registers own the license.

First time I hear about this alleged license transfer limitation. Might be true or then again, it might be just a rumour.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I have let myself understand that there is a registration card in the Avid HD interface box. Whoever registers own the license.

First time I hear about this alleged license transfer limitation. Might be true or then again, it might be just a rumour.
Well maybe I’m wrong. I thought that my Digilink license was marked non transferable. But looking at my iLok account it doesn’t appear it is not.

Has anyone tried to sell or or buy a second hand Digilink I/o license? I’ve never even seen them for offered for sale anywhere.

Old 02-15-2019, 08:43 PM

If these new voice packs sell well, as of addition I/O licenses aren’t also on the horizon. For large I/O tracking, I just use Reaper. Particularly if you are just tapping into an existing Dante network - it’s $30(?) for a Dante DVS license and you’re away.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:11 PM

There's a lot of unsubstantiated assumptions in this post.
Quote:
I'm not sure that anyone in Avid even knows what Dante is.

Their sole Dante product is that expansion card for the MTRX, which was probably built by the DAD people in the first place.

And then there's the fact that probably non one in the Avid marketing department has ever done any sort of audio production at all, so why would they even have a clue what the current state of the technology is.

Wave-T.com
Old 02-16-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Well maybe I’m wrong. I thought that my Digilink license was marked non transferable. But looking at my iLok account it doesn’t appear it is not.

Has anyone tried to sell or or buy a second hand Digilink I/o license? I’ve never even seen them for offered for sale anywhere.
If I remember right, when you sell the product you need to complete a transfer of ownership form that is being sent to avid so that every thing that is linked to what is being sold is transferred to the new owner. I presume this would include all licenses that are tied to that hardware.

Wave-T.com