Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 11-02-2020, 08:10 PM

Default Which 27” Computer Monitor/Display Are You Guys Using?

Hi guys,

I’m on the market for a 27” computer monitor/display for my Mac-based PT DAW and was wondering which brands/models you’re using or would recommend?

I’m using an older MacBook Pro which has Thunderbolt, so likely I’d go HDMI to Thunderbolt to connect the external monitor.

For example I’ve heard about Dell Ultrasharp models, that they’re pretty good. What else is out there. Just wondering what specs to look for in a 27” display that would work well for working with Pro Tools?

Thanks.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Which 27” Computer Monitor/Display Are You Guys Using?

My 27" iMac (2011) just died and I'm looking at moving to either a new MINI or another iMac. For the MINI, the display I've seen a lot of good news about is the LG 27UK850. It does have multiple HDMI ins as well as USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) and is less than $500.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:59 AM

^^^ this is a bargain really great monitor. Popular with software developers and others that I know. One company I work with purchased this for developers home offices when COVID hit. My son has the same model and is very happy with it. I have the LG 5K UltraFine 27" Thunderbolt monitor and that's the likely next step above the 27UK850 for Mac users. But that's driven by Photoshop use on my part and is almost 3 times the price and just not clear that's a good choice for Pro Tools use.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
My 27" iMac (2011) just died and I'm looking at moving to either a new MINI or another iMac. For the MINI, the display I've seen a lot of good news about is the LG 27UK850. It does have multiple HDMI ins as well as USB-C (Thunderbolt 3) and is less than $500.
Thank you! Any idea how that LG compares to these two?—>
1) Dell U2719d: https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop...d/apd/210-arcv
2) HP Z27n G2: https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-z2...7-inch-display
Old 11-10-2020, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
^^^ this is a bargain really great monitor. Popular with software developers and others that I know. One company I work with purchased this for developers home offices when COVID hit. My son has the same model and is very happy with it. I have the LG 5K UltraFine 27" Thunderbolt monitor and that's the likely next step above the 27UK850 for Mac users. But that's driven by Photoshop use on my part and is almost 3 times the price and just not clear that's a good choice for Pro Tools use.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbarnesiii View Post
Hi guys,

I’m on the market for a 27” computer monitor/display for my Mac-based PT DAW and was wondering which brands/models you’re using or would recommend?

I’m using an older MacBook Pro which has Thunderbolt, so likely I’d go HDMI to Thunderbolt to connect the external monitor.

For example I’ve heard about Dell Ultrasharp models, that they’re pretty good. What else is out there. Just wondering what specs to look for in a 27” display that would work well for working with Pro Tools?

Thanks.
I’m on an LG too. Really nice. If you want to run at 4k though you might find a 27” a bit small. Tiny text in Pro Tools for example.

I have 32” LG and I can’t cope with that at 4k so lowered the resolution a bit. It’s probably 3.5K!
Old 11-11-2020, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbarnesiii View Post
These are all lower resolution, not 4K. So what resolution do you want? In the 4K Class the LG is a clear winner. I want to get as much "real estate on a monitor" as I can. I actually run a 27" 5K LG Ultrasharp monitor next to a 15" MBP screen. That combo is nice as its very similar display pixel density (and are also P3 colorspace and calibrated for photoshop etc.).

MBP 15" display: 2880 x 1800 @ 220ppi
LG Ultrafine 27": 5120 x 2880 @ 218ppi

macOS by default will scale these high ppi displays (at least it does so for my 5K and laptop screen) so what you see does not actually look so small but it does look crisp. One of my best investments besides that 5K monitor was getting proper eyeglasses for working with the computer. I'm comfortably sitting back a few feet (if you wear reading glasses like me definitely ask your optometrist about proper eyeglasses for working at a computer).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-11-2020 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-11-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
These are all lower resolution, not 4K. So what resolution do you want? In the 4K Class the LG is a clear winner. I want to get as much "real estate on a monitor" as I can. I actually run a 27" 5K LG Ultrasharp monitor next to a 15" MBP screen. That combo is nice as its very similar display pixel density (and are also P3 colorspace and calibrated for photoshop etc.).

MBP 15" display: 2880 x 1800 @ 220ppi
LG Ultrafine 27": 5120 x 2880 @ 218ppi

macOS by default will scale these high ppi displays (at least it does so for my 5K and laptop screen) so what you see does not actually look so small but it does look crisp. One of my best investments besides that 5K monitor was getting proper eyeglasses for working with the computer. I'm comfortably sitting back a few feet (if you wear reading glasses like me definitely ask your optometrist about proper eyeglasses for working at a computer).
Awesome, thanks so much. Looks like LG is the way to go. Also looks like Amazon has em for $450 at the moment, assuming this is the one you guys mean: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...l9fDSJ53YyoLpR
Old 11-11-2020, 02:58 PM

That is the one. Exact place folks I work with and my son purchased his. Note a very few reviews/complaints about display discoloring in the corners, so check for this when you receive yours. None of the folks who purchased one I know of had any such issue... while these are not super high-end color accurate monitors for the most demanding photoshop or video work, but they are amazing bargains for what you get. And LG likely makes the display panels or OEMs the entire thing for many other brands of monitors.
Old 11-11-2020, 03:01 PM

I've been using the Apple 27" TB display since its introduction and have no intention to switch it to anything until it dies some day. It's not any 8K curved modern display but has very useful connections on back, not to mention image is stunning for a non-oled display.