Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 10-23-2021, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Carbon - Intel Mac mini vs M1/M1x Mac mini

Still no video engine for BigSur! So I’m stuck on Intel/Catalina for now. As per usual Avid is about a year behind the curve when it comes to OS releases. They rushed BigSur compatibility but had to sacrifice the video engine. Apple Silicone needs BigSur. And as mentioned before the new M1Pro and M1Max will probably need OS12 to run. I’d be more then happy to run on Apple Silicone in Rosetta2 mode but unless they get the video engine running I’ll stick to Catalina on Intel.
Old 10-23-2021, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiot View Post
Still no video engine for BigSur!And as mentioned before the new M1Pro and M1Max will probably need OS12 to run.
Wasn't it confirmed already? Monterey is being released on monday unless I am mistaken...
Old 11-03-2021, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeller View Post
So... no new Mac Mini M1 Pro or M1 Max. Now the question is do I drop:

$2400 on a 14" MacBook Pro, M1 Pro 10 core CPU, 14 core GPU, 16MB RAM
$2500 on a 16" MacBook Pro, M1 Pro 10 core CPU, 16 core GPU, 16MB RAM
or
$1250 on a Mac Mini, M1 8 core, 8 GPU, 16MB RAM

Connectivity on M1 Pro MacBooks is 3 USB4 Thunderbolt ports, no Ethernet port
Connectivity on M1 Mac Mini 2 USB-A, 2 Thunderbolt 4, Ethernet Port

For the Carbon, on a new MacBook Pro, I'd have to burn 1 Thunderbolt port for my AVB connection, 1 Thunderbolt port for a DisplayPort adapter, and 1 Thunderbolt port for a hub for wired keyboard, wired mouse, ILok, external drives.

Question... Might it make sense to get the M1 MacMini? If I'm not doing heavy duty PT sessions with tons of plugins, will I see a significant enough difference in PT to justify paying double for a Mac to use with my Carbon (which is still inside the box!). I can always trade it in later and buy the 2nd Gen Mac Mini when it comes out.

BTW, the way Apple has their pricing laid out, it looks like a no brainer to pick up the 16" MacBook Pro, which does look like a thing of beauty.
I have the M1 mac mini with 16GB unified memory and a 2TB SSD. I track to an external SSD over thunderbolt. I have been doing some heavy lifting with multiple instrument tracks and many plugins, it hasn't skipped a beat. This is only for home/project studio stuff, but having owned a studio with a full PT setup on a high powered custom PC before, I wouldn't hesitate at all to switch to the M1 mac to run it. For most things the new chips have really outpaced the demand for audio. If you are doing video editing thats another story, but basic recording at 48k. The M1 mini will do a symphony. No problems.
Old 11-14-2021, 11:46 AM

How are things running for you Mini M1/Carbon users as of today? 11/14/21

I'm still on the fully loaded intel mini but I'm missing the performance having to turn off turbo boost with my carbon. I'm considering buying a M1 mini despite it's limitations until the new m1 mini (pro or whatever they call it) drops.
Old 11-15-2021, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovnD313 View Post
How are things running for you Mini M1/Carbon users as of today? 11/14/21

I'm still on the fully loaded intel mini but I'm missing the performance having to turn off turbo boost with my carbon. I'm considering buying a M1 mini despite it's limitations until the new m1 mini (pro or whatever they call it) drops.
My Mini has been fine for my sessions, (project home studio) Ive been running a few eleven plugins, some reverb etc on the Carbon DSP and its all performing well. CPU load is a non issue.

I do think as I grow instrument tracks and plugins the memory will become an issue but for now its working really really well. If a M1 max mini gets released I will likely upgrade, but only to be ahead of the curve. Today I have no issues.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightamrock View Post
CPU load is a non issue.
I can confirm that, but available memory is an issue, especially with Monterey which has severe memory leaks everywhre.
Old 11-27-2021, 12:36 AM

I just ordered a 24 inch iMac M1 (16gb ram/2 tb ssd)…
I’m hoping it plays nicely with my Carbon…
I’ll report back once it’s all installed !
Old 11-27-2021, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwavo View Post
I just ordered a 24 inch iMac M1 (16gb ram/2 tb ssd)…
I’m hoping it plays nicely with my Carbon…
I’ll report back once it’s all installed !
I recommend first thing you do is downgrade to Big Sur. Currently as it is, Monterey is a total disaster.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I recommend first thing you do is downgrade to Big Sur. Currently as it is, Monterey is a total disaster.
Thanks for the tip!
My new iMac doesn’t ship until mid December, so hopefully things are caught up by then??

I’m on Big Sur 11.5.2 with my MacBook that’s running Carbon now on the latest pro tools ultimate version and Carbon firmware.

It’s running fine.

Is there a specific version of Big Sur I should run if Carbon isn’t playing well with Monterey by Xmas ?

Thanks !
Old 11-29-2021, 06:57 AM

I don't have Carbon so all I can do is guess. And my guess would be if it works on 11.5.2 it should work with the latest Big Sur, which by the way may be your only option in case you need to downgrade from Monterey. And you cannot even do that if your hardware comes with M1pro/max processors, only the original M1 processor supports Big Sur.