Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 01-12-2003, 09:37 AM

Default Cubase/PT question I will pay you!!!

I will paypal aynone $25 if they can answer me who I can get this acomplished!!

I transfered a project from ADATS thru my MOTU 828 into CUBASE 2 tapes AKA 16 tracks lockedup. In the middle of the tapes there was an error so we had to instatiate a new recording lockup halfway through the tapes each time.

So here is the big issue.
I need to make the files on each track one BIG File with its start at zero.
OR
I need a way of getting a sample acurate start time for regions in CUBASE!
I hate CUBASE with every inch of my body and am tired of searching for a solution so here is some more details.
The first audio files for one set of 1-8 came into record at 6 seconds ish
The second tape 9-16 came in record at 4 seconds ish.
Since I cant import the track info into Pt What I wanna do is what I would normally do in PT which is highlight the duration of the Audio regions and then drag the blank space back to 0 in the timeline and the consolidate the region so there is blank space in the new audio file before the region originally started.
So that way if i did this on all tracks they would all start at zero when i put them in the new program.
The only other solution i can come up with is if i could get a readout of the regions start time by samples in CUBASE then I could just put each region in PT to the same sample and then life would be great.
Any solutions. If you fix my problem i will imediatly paypal you 25$ PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!

So here is the issue:
Old 01-12-2003, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Cubase/PT question I will pay you!!!

Consolidate (i.e. make one contiguous track) your Cubase regions so that all start at exactly bar 1, beat 1. Then, Import Audio to Tracks in PT and line them up at bar 1, beat 1. Remember to write down the tempo.
Old 01-12-2003, 02:07 PM

I understand that but I dont know how to consolidate regions in cubase so they go back to bar1 beat 1. That is the problem.
Jesse
Old 01-12-2003, 04:54 PM

For each audio track, add a snip of blank audio starting at beat 1, 00:00:00 etc. Then consolidate the entire tracks individually. This will create "whole" audio files regradless of the locations of the indiviual regions. Donate the $25 to Save the Children...
Old 01-12-2003, 07:23 PM

My reocuring problem seems to be i dont know how to consolidate multiple regions in cubase.
Old 01-12-2003, 08:46 PM

If the region doesn't already start at bar 1/beat 1, create a blank region with the "pencil" tool then use the "join" tool and command-click on each region. This will consolidate your regions into one contiguous audio file.
Donate that $25 to your favorite charity.
Old 01-13-2003, 03:24 AM

I feel your pain with Cubase. I used to endorse it. My experience would be that you would have to do 2 track bounces at a time. This would start at bar1 beat1. Remember that the tracks you are bouncing the panning is far left & right. I know this maybe a long time consuming method but it's the only way.
1- HDX
1 - Apogee Symphony Mk2 8x8
1 - HD 16x16 Interface
MOTU MTP/AV
------------------------------
Second System
Mac Pro 2013 3.5GHz 6-core Xeon E5-1650v2
32GB RAM
1 - HDX
1 - Avid Thunderbolt 3 Expansion Chassis
1 - HD 8X8 Interface

MARVINBASS Digital Audio, LLC
Ex PT Beta Tester
Woodland Hills, CA.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:26 AM

If I'm the "winner", then my band Circle The Cat has a paypal setup at our website www.circlethecat.com. Buy one of our CDs and keep the CD and the change. Shameless plug - it's been very well reviewed, and we got a manager and an indie deal out of it, so you might like it! We did it with Cubase/ADATs, so that might interest you too. Our next CD is about to begin recording, and we're using ProTools! Anyway, the plug is over, here we go:

There is no "consolidate" function in Cubase (perhaps in the new SX, but I still use the latest VST 5.1). Instead do the following:

- "zero out" the mixing board by setting all faders (including the master fader) to 0, all panning to center (mono) or full wide (stereo), and any plugins removed or bypassed.

- make sure each track is routed to a different channel (in arrange window).

- make sure all channels are routed to the master (in mix window).

- in arrange window, set the left locator to bar 1, beat 1 (all the way left)

- set the right locator a few bars past the very last bit of music (all the way right)

- in the audio editor window, make sure there are no drawn in fades or pans in the audio editor window (shouldn't be if you've just transferred these tracks)

- back in the mix window, solo the first channel.

- click "export audio" (either in the master fader area or in the file menu).

- make your settings appropriate for the way you want your new continuous files to be, and save them in a new folder you can find later. Make sure your mono/dual mono (don't use stereo interleaved) settings are appropriate, depending on whether the channel you have soloed is mono or stereo. Do not check to have them put in the audio pool. Don't check automation or effects or any of those options.

- Do it! It will now create a mono or dual mono .wav of .aif file(s), depending on your settings.

- When done, unsolo that channel, solo the next channel, and repeat.

- continue this process until all the channels are done.

- you now have a folder with all your tracks in separate but continuous files, and they are all the exact same length. Open your program of choice (PT) and import!

Email me if you have any questions.

-kid pro