Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 04-10-2007, 10:59 AM

Default Picture delay with projector

I'm thinking of installing a projector and screen in my mix room. I know there are issues with picture delay (syncheck is on my purchase list). My question is about putting delays on the speaker lines to compensate. I have seen this solution recomended here, and my question is: why not just advance the video in PT to compensate? and use a video delay for satalite ADR and client monitors to compensate for the advance?

Also, I see Da Lite sells perf screen material for $11 a square foot for custom installs. Any reason I should not go this route?

I'm running HD3 on a G5 dual 2 gig, Magma expansion, PT 7.2, Media Station, 192, Sync I/O, Mojo, Opamp video DA, Sigma Blackburst, DS M7.1.

Thanks
Charles
"Pictorially challanged"
Old 04-10-2007, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Picture delay with projector

I remembered that the DS m7.1 has settings for speaker delays. Might this be a way to go as well?
Old 04-10-2007, 07:12 PM

Before you skip delays for the speakers, you need to answer the following:

Will you ever layback to video tape?
Will you ever need to view video+audio from anything other than Pro Tools? (such as DVD player, broadcast TV)
Are any of your speakers a different distance from the mix position than any others?

If you can answer NO to all three questions then you can advance the video. By the way, have you checked the price of video delays? 4 frames of standard def composite delay is not too outrageously priced, but anything other than composite video is far more expensive than audio delays. High def video is going to be unavoidable very very soon.

The Tascam will give you up to 50ms of delay for each individual channel, which may be enough (many projectors are less than two frames of delay, but not all). If you go with digital EQs you can get delay AND room EQ. Not super cheap, but really useful. Some would say essential.

The only downsides of speaker delays are sound quality (usually not an issue in post) and realtime things such as overdubbing a music track in the control room, or talkback bleed-through in the cans (can sound kinda weird in the cans). For post, these are issues that can be worked around by turning the delays off while recording.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:26 AM

Thanks Richard!
I do mostly just provide stems as files, but that can change from project to project.
I don't have any needs for speaker delays for placement at the moment.
Sometimes I view a DVD or tape.
So if the 50 ms delay is enough, I could just go with the DS M7.1. If not, I have to get 3 stereo delays.
Thanks for filling in the blanks for me.