Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 12-31-2006, 11:00 AM

Default Problem installing Motu Symp Instruments - ilok!

Just purchased Symphonic Instruments from Guitar Center and am having trouble installing it.

I get to the point where I am running the installation program (RTAS only, not complete install) and it says "Motu Symphonic Instruments requires drivers for the iLok Dongle. Run the driver install found in Progran Files\Motu\msi\Interlock drives install\setup.exe before using MSI"

My only option is to then click "ok".

After which I do as instructed and install run the driver install.

But even after reboots, uninstalls, reinstalls, installing the most recent ilok driver form the internet, everything...I cannot get away from that message. The only thing in my Start Programs is "Uninstall Motu Symphonic Instruments."

I have an existing ilok from Protools plugins. I've tried it with it out, with it in, with Motu's out, with Motus in, every combination. But I don't think that matters as the install program never told me to insert it yet, as the installation page said to wait for.

What do I need to do?

Darn it! It's Sunday and tomorrow is a holiday. Was hoping to use it now.

Does nayone have any ideas?
Old 01-01-2007, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Problem installing Motu Symp Instruments - ilo

LOL!!!!!!!!

I just thought I'd check the product DVD and it is Version 1.0 and the files are dated early 2005. The current release is Version 1.1.1. I googled Version 1.1 and it was released on May 2005!!!

Guitar Center must have had this on the shelf for at least a year and a half.

I assume that the old version does not recognize the new ilok drivers. That must be the problem.

Guitar Center is 120 miles away from me too! The salesperson said they would return the money to me. But he's checking if I can mail it to them becuase that's a long drive and expenswive with gas these days.

What a pisser!
Old 01-02-2007, 03:34 AM

Default Re: Problem installing Motu Symp Instruments - ilok!

Quote:
Does nayone have any ideas?
Why not dowload the update?

http://www.motu.com/products/softwar...version11.html

Old 01-02-2007, 06:36 AM

I've seen the new updater, but I've got a 7-8 GB Soundbank zipped file from my 1.0 DVD set as well. I'm not certain if I'll get any new sounds. The update download is only for the updater. Will it ask me to download a huge 8 GB file? Too big up download. Will it not give me any of the new sounds? Or wil it be smart and figure out what I need? I hate risking missing any sounds due to an update glitch.

I could try calling Motu this morning, but I heard that they have really horrible tech support and it's difficult to get through. I imagine it even worse no that it is the first work day of the new year.

Guitar Center said they'd return my money on the product. I'll find out tomorrow if I can do it by mail since I'm 120 miles away from them. If I can I'll just do that then repurchase a fresh, current copy online.

---
Are these dongles the way of the future? It's it futile to fight getting software that uses them?
Old 01-02-2007, 07:01 AM

Yup, just as I read about this company. I called and got a busy signal. The posts I read where from a year ago, which complained there was not even a tech support queue -- you just keep trying until the 1 out of 10 times that you don't get a busy signal.

Is there a competing product to this that is as good? One with a company that has tech support and hopefully doesn't use ilok? (I may post this as a separate thread).