Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2003, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Switching an internal HD(with sessions on it) from one pc to another....

Uh oh...we've made this another silly thread, and I've gotta ask something serious...yikes!

(yikes?...where did that come from? Can you imagine someone in normal life who went around saying, 'Yikes!' every time they were in a bad situation? What am I thinking?...)

OK, anyway... I'm about to put the HD in MY pc, and I'm not sure which 'ribbon' to hook it to.
There is one ribbon going from my mobo to the floppy drive, and there is another ribbon going from mobo to my CDRom drive.
Now, I BELIEVE it is the ribbon that goes to my CDRom drive that I would also connect this HD to.

Would any of you know for sure?...(yikes... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] )

thanksroy
Old 01-03-2003, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Switching an internal HD(with sessions on it) from one pc to another....

while i do not know for sure, i would believe that your right since the are both drives. however, DO NOT TAKE THIS AS PROFESSIONAL ADVISE
Old 01-03-2003, 11:14 PM

Hi there Roy

Definetly not the floppy drive ribbon.

The ribbon you have the cdrom on is your ribbon of choice. However I note from your thread that this drive you are installing was previously a slave on another machine.

If I was you I would find your Primary drive for this machine you want to install into and hang your already configured slave off this ide cable not your cdrom.

If however your cdrom is currently slaved off the master, then you will need a second ide cable to connect this 3rd device from.

Roy.... what and how many devices do you currently have on this 2nd machine and how many ide cables/interfaces (exclude the floppy drive) do you have.

regards
Old 01-03-2003, 11:17 PM

... and be prepared for your drive letters to change around.. you may have to do some manipulation with drives and letter assignment.. which OS are you running?

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 01-03-2003, 11:28 PM

somewhere in memphis there is a small cloud of black smoke, a few fried circuts and roy, holding a power ribbon w/ a blackend face and hair standing straight up as he says "ooopss, wrong one"
Old 01-03-2003, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bi0force1:
somewhere in memphis there is a small cloud of black smoke, a few fried circuts and roy, holding a power ribbon w/ a blackend face and hair standing straight up as he says "ooopss, wrong one"
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">RALOL RALOL RALOL

I think I cracked a rib from laughing too hard. That image is priceless biOforce.. thanks for painting it.
Old 01-03-2003, 11:34 PM

Thank you so much...
Both the old machine I'm taking it out of, and this new one I'm putting it in, are running XP Pro.

Now, in my case (new machine it's going in), in layers, I have it as 1.top-CDRom drive 2.middle-Floppy drive...and 3.bottom-Sys. Hard drive.
I also have a 1394 card, in which a 40gb 1394 Ext. firewire drive is plugged.

So, would you suggest probably the ribbon from my mobo, to #3., my Sys. drive?

Thanks you guys!
Old 01-03-2003, 11:38 PM

roy, its like 1:40am and your playing w/ computer guts? come on man, put the ribbon down and back away, everything is gonna be alright, i talked to your wife and she said that your allowed to go to bed now [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2003, 11:39 PM

I would suggest hanging the drive you want to put in as a slave off the master. But Roy please make sure that you cdrom has its own ide cable and is not a slave hanging off your master or you'll find that you cdrom won't function when you boot up.
Old 01-03-2003, 11:46 PM

Thanks Scoobster,
Yes, it(CDRom) is on it's own cable, going straight to the Mobo. So, I believe the right one will be the Sys. drive cable. Man, I really do appreciate the help from all you guys. I feel a lot better about it. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

and Bi0,
As a matter of fact, I'm gonna take your advice and hit it... some body here has decided to get on the other pc, so I can't get in it now...and I'm getting sleeepy...sleeeepy..I'm....

(thanks again [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )