How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 10-24-2012, 06:14 AM

Default Re: New Macs introduced! New Imac, Mac Mini, 13" Retina Macbook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Sorry to hi-jack your post but just had to say Awesome song you linked to in your info to soundcloud!!! Listened to it 10 times and it is really nice!!
(Hooked on you) Nice job!
Thanks.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:01 PM

no optical drives on the imac!?? wtf!... so you gotta use up one of your usb slots
and purchase an external one !??? figures.... fack apple!.. they're so yesterdays news..

oh yah.. no power mac!... bwahahahah

Old 10-24-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
no optical drives on the imac!?? wtf!... so you gotta use up one of your usb slots
and purchase an external one !??? figures.... fack apple!.. they're so yesterdays news..

oh yah.. no power mac!... bwahahahah

More like tomorrow's news. Hell, I have no optical drive in my tower, and I haven't used the one in my Macbook for over a year. I don't know anyone who asks for CDs anymore, and all of my software gets downloaded. My OS installers are also dedicated onto usb flash drives.

Optical media is in a vegitative state hooked up to life support. It's time to pull the plug.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-24-2012, 07:41 PM

well, the reality is I give my clients a final copy of mastered songs and a DVD with all their sessions at the end of a project...

I also do video editing from time to time... no client is gonna email a 4.5GB disc to get me started mate... hahahhaha....
same goes for sessions brought in from other studios... some may turn into coasters but at .50 a piece... i'm pretty sure we're covered..

personally.. i cannot live without an optical drive...

& i sincerely doubt DVD & BLU-Ray media is going anywhere!... good luck with that...

that's my 50 Cents!

either way... its not a big deal really.. I plan on modding my laptop so i can run 2 SSD drives....
around the studio i work with external drives for big data transfers and heck you're right the whole building
is a network... but i still like my hard copies.. how else can you possibly check your mixes out on the best
sound system you've got.!! YOUR CAR!.. my Rsx type S dont even play mp3 cds... it does not have an ipod patch!
truth be told, the oem BOSE 6 CD changer is a half-breed, casette deck!! hahha....

Old 10-24-2012, 08:20 PM

No need to get into a optical drive war here guys. Some people use optical drives and some don't. It is neither right nor wrong, old or new. Apple recognizes this and decided that the best solution is to make the optical drive optional for those that need it by providing a USB external drive. This way it allow the notebooks to be thiner and lighter. A perfect solution for those that don use the optical drive at all or very little. For those the do use it often, simply plug in the USB drive and all is well. I admit it is not as convenient as having a optical drive built-in because it is a separate item to carry but at least those that don't need it don't have to carry it all the time.

I bought a USB optical drive for my wife's Macbook Air thinking I would use it often. It has been over a year and we've used it only once for a talent show when one of the performers brought his accompaniment music on a CD. All the other performers brought it on a USB stick. But that's just my experience and I'm sure folks that work in video need it more.

It has always been a love/hate thing for Apple. People who like them really love them and those that don't really hate them. I'm not sure why the passion when all it really is just a tool. If it is the right tool, us it...if not, don't.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.3.1 running Protools 2024.3
Old 10-25-2012, 02:06 AM

Apple USB SuperDrive [+ £65.00]

Just got that from Apples store.

Or you could buy a HP BD530S External USB 2.0 Blu-ray Combo, 6x Blu-Ray, 8x DVD±DL Writer Slim for 63.34 Inc VAT from somewhere else.

Apple plays blu ray now ? out of the box yes ?

Whatever your needs it's still a rip off. Bring back a competitive market, AMD, the desktop
Old 10-25-2012, 02:10 AM

Correcting my own post - the "Retinas" now do quad HD out of the box ?
Old 10-25-2012, 02:56 AM

Quote:
well, the reality is I give my clients a final copy of mastered songs and a DVD with all their sessions at the end of a project...
My clients usually have a flash drive. If not... an 8GB costs $4.

Quote:
I also do video editing from time to time... no client is gonna email a 4.5GB disc to get me started mate... hahahhaha....
same goes for sessions brought in from other studios... some may turn into coasters but at .50 a piece... i'm pretty sure we're covered..

When I do video work, I often get the video straight from the source, or via dropbox.

Quote:
& i sincerely doubt DVD & BLU-Ray media is going anywhere!... good luck with that...
DVD is going rather quickly, I'd say. I don't know many people who buy or rent DVDs anymore, it's all about digital streaming or download.

Blu-Ray is another story... but when it comes down to it, these Retina displays Apple is churning out are higher res than Blu-Ray. If everyone else follows suit, 1080p is going to start looking old.

Quote:
either way... its not a big deal really.. I plan on modding my laptop so i can run 2 SSD drives....
around the studio i work with external drives for big data transfers and heck you're right the whole building
is a network... but i still like my hard copies.. how else can you possibly check your mixes out on the best
sound system you've got.!! YOUR CAR!.. my Rsx type S dont even play mp3 cds... it does not have an ipod patch!
truth be told, the oem BOSE 6 CD changer is a half-breed, casette deck!! hahha....
I usually test on 3 different cars (no not all mine), and they can all play wavs right off a USB stick.

Technology is changing pretty quickly. I'm sure there are still people who use optical media a lot, but I don't see it really lasting for more than another 5 years, tops. Solid state is the trend.

Basically, what it comes down to for me, is bad experiences with optical drives. I've never had one last more than 2 years under normal use. Mac, PC, expensive, cheap... they all died or lost some functionality. The one in my Macbook will read, but will not write.

I just think we can do better than optical. Lasers burn out. A Tiny scratch on a disk could ruin it completely. I've never had a flash drive go bad on me, yet.

Just my opinion/experience. Peace, not war. :)

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-25-2012, 08:08 AM

yeah externals are affordable anyway.... i'm not even in the market so what do i care... hahahahha...

sorry mate... all my clients get a burned DVD when i do vid editing as well..
what can i say... its nice to hold something fresh and toasty, right off the grille.!

peace, not war.. lol

Old 10-25-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
More like tomorrow's news. Hell, I have no optical drive in my tower, and I haven't used the one in my Macbook for over a year. I don't know anyone who asks for CDs anymore, and all of my software gets downloaded. My OS installers are also dedicated onto usb flash drives.

Optical media is in a vegitative state hooked up to life support. It's time to pull the plug.
I agree... the future not the past... No one will be using disks in the near future so Id start to wrap your brain around it now before your left... like the kids still holding their cassette tape player...