Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2010, 05:19 AM

Default Do I need to upgrade?

I'm using PT 8 LE on a C2D 2.33 Imac w/ 4G RAM recording to a Glyph external hd (via fw400). I'm continually hitting the performance ceiling as indicated by PT's cpu usage meter. The inevitable prompt is either 'can't grab audio from the drives fast enough', or 'Hardware buffer setting error - holding off interruptions too long', or something along the lines thereof.

I'll often have 30+ tracks, 10+ auxes, multiple plugins on everything, and VI's running at once... I seem to get 3/4 of the way into a regular project before I have to start sorting CPU usage issues - it's a major PITA. I'm sick of workarounds.

My question is - If I upgrade my iMac to a new 21.5" 3.6 i5 iMac, should I expect these prompts to dissappear? The geekbench score of such an iMac is 6704, compared to my test score 3130, but does this translate or is geekbench an empty test for PT users?

BTW - there's no problems with any of my gear, it's all working perfectly.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:29 AM

Default Re: Do I need to upgrade?

I would say no, I have a 2.4 C2D, 4gb 667mhz ddr2 sdram IMAC running 10.5.6, PT 8.0.4cs2 w/ Factory 003.

I have a session I'm working on now with
- 48 audio tracks and 15 aux busses - and at least 4 plugs (Waves) on each track.

I'm using 32% of CPU (RTAS), 21% DISK

1. Make sure you've followed all the system optimization tips from ProTools.

2. Make sure there are no unnecessary processes running on your iMac. Turn off/stop anything that isn't needed.

I only use my iMAC to run ProTools, nothing else. So all services and applications are pretty stripped out.

Good Luck!
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR 4
Internal 2TiB SSD
Pro Tools 2024.3
EuCon 4.8.6.41 / 2023.11
UA Luna
UAD 11
UA Apollo Twin X
Avid S1 / Fire10 - 21.8.1.0
PreSonus DigiMax FS 8-input ADAT
Dynaudio Monitors
PreSonus Temblor 10 Sub

Check my Music out here:

Paul G YouTube

Paul G Bandcamp
Old 11-13-2010, 06:53 AM

What VI's are you running and how do you have your playback engine set? Some 3rd party plugs run best if you set your playback engine to one less processor than available. Then the VI's can then use this proc to run non-realtime code that causes issues when run along side RTAS plugs. So for you this would be 1 proc. Also increasing the buffer size will reduce the load on the cpu.

And if you are using VI's that like their own proc then one of the quad-core i7 iMacs could have better results as you can set you playback engine to one less than what you have and still have multiple procs for the RTAS engine. Make sense?
Old 11-13-2010, 07:18 AM

I think it's the VI's that are slowing it down. Like Paul G, I'm on a 2.4 ghz Imac, and I can do more tracks than that, when it comes to VI's, I try to print them to audio tracks.

I also have a lot of other stuff on my computer and that's not been an issue.

Also, I don't think you mentioned if your VI samples are on a separate hard drive, separate from your system drive and separate from your audio drive. This is highly recommended.

If you do decide to upgrade, try to get one of the 27" Imacs. If you can, go for the custom order I7. But regardless, any of the new mid 2010 27" Imacs can be sent to OWC (macsales.com) to be modified to have an E-Sata port put in. That will allow you to have your VI sample hard drive on a separate bus from your audio drives, which should help out.

The other thing is that any of the new Imacs can have more ram put in vs. the old one, which also should help.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:28 AM

I use Strike mainly, that VI is on most stuff now, sometimes i'll use the other pre-bundled PT8 VI's for a piano line or organ pump. I got Waves CLA, Renn Maxx, and SSL, which I use on everything, and a few other nice plugins, and I also use Podfarm (ilok version) a lot for it's FX, but it's a real CPU hog.

But, 32%!!! That's incredible! I'll be using that much CPU after tracking alone! I've obviously still got an issue with my iMac... it did have a couple of problems upon arrival, but I thought it go sorted under warranty... damn! Good but bad news, I gotta sell my iMac for something more mobile anyway.

So if I was to buy a 'black' macbook (circa 2008, 2.4 C2D w/ 4G RAM and FW400) and it was working perfectly fine - it should be a more than competent machine for hardcore audio editing?
Old 11-14-2010, 05:38 AM

Oh BTW, I can get a brand new Intel SSD drive through my sister in HK for a pittance, so i'll be putting that in the macbook too... if the macbook is a good enough tool to begin with.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:50 AM

Yeah if you're using digi/air vi's you should be able to leave your playback engine at 2 procs. At least I can. I would think those MacBooks would have almost identical performance to mine and mine does well. If I really tried I'm sure I could push it to it's limit's but not sure I ever have. Fwiw I tend to keep my playback engine at 2 procs and 1024 samples. When tracking I turn on llm. So far so good. :)