Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2006, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Default Pro Tools HD 7.1cs6 Update

Pro Tools HD 7.1cs6 Updates for Mac OS X and Windows XP
For systems with Pro Tools HD 7.0 or 7.1

Available for download from the Pro Tools CS Updates page:
www.digidesign.com/download/cs/

What's Fixed in Pro Tools HD 7.1cs6?

In addition to all previous fixes, Pro Tools HD 7.1cs6 for Mac OS X contains the following:

Fixed: Under Certain Conditions, Recorded Files Could End Up Earlier on the Timeline than Where They Were Recorded (Item #74487)
  • When recording multiple tracks, files could be recorded out of sync with each other unless the Delay Compensation state had first been toggled on/off, or off/on.
Fixed: Renaming a Surround File Results in File Channel Suffixes Being Ordered Incorrectly (Item #72531)
  • When a file was renamed from the region list (using the menu command or double-clicking), *the file suffixes would incorrectly change in both the timeline and the region list, but the file order would remain correct.* Instead of renaming the audio files in the standard film format (L, C, R, Ls, Rs, LFE) the files were renamed as C, L, Rs, Ls, LFE, R.
  • If you then dragged a renamed file to the timeline, the suffixes would appear to be in order, but the files would be in the incorrect order.
  • This did not occur when renaming regions from the Timeline (or Playlist) by double-clicking with the grabber tool.
Fixed: Could Not Always Copy Time Code Values from Region Start/End/Length Fields (Item #72677)
  • Copying from these fields was not possible if there was a time selection on a playlist or the timeline. This could also potentially affect some third party post applications that required the use of these fields.
Fixed: When using Expansion|HD, Instantiating a Plug-In During Playback Could Result in an DAE -6031 Error (Item #74761)
Old 03-30-2006, 09:44 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools HD 7.1cs6 Update

thank you for your dedication and hard work.

{added in later}
i have to say however that it is amazing to me that as of April 1

and this is NOT april fools

only 352 came here to get the link

could that few people on the planet have done the upgrade?

Old 04-01-2006, 12:21 PM

I have to admit, I'm still waiting for a good old stable version of Pro-Tools...just like the good old days.
I remember telling everyone how Pro-Tools was good because it would never crash.

Granted...I use plug-ins from NI, and others, and they are more than likely the problem....
but it just makes me wonder why it would take so long for different plug-in makers to update
plug ins to work from one version of pro-tools to the next.

We all want more features, but what good are features at the expense of stability?

In the future, I'd rather wait for bugs to get fixed before something is released...
and asking every plug-in maker to have to update, for what seems like minor changes seens like a bad idea.

If the problem is Native Instruments, what's the hold up for compatibility?
Wasn't PT 7 release like 5 months ago?

Just my 2 cents of frustration for today.
Old 04-01-2006, 05:09 PM

3 or 4 software crashes and a small amount of work lost today in 7.1cs6 today

bummer lost a few cool edits

ran ONYX
restarted...crashes still happened

Old 04-01-2006, 10:14 PM

When is Digi Planning on upgrading the firmware on the C-24? It goes offline all the time and its a major PITA.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:25 PM

Quote:
When is Digi Planning on upgrading the firmware on the C-24? It goes offline all the time and its a major PITA.
I've been mixing for the last 2 weeks on a C24 and a Mac running 6.9.3 and the C24 has never gone offline. I've also worked at this studio for years using the C24 and never ever seen it go offline.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 04-02-2006, 10:58 AM

So whats the story on the RTAS multiprocessor issues?
are they actually gonna be fixed any time soon?
Old 04-02-2006, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I have to admit, I'm still waiting for a good old stable version of Pro-Tools...just like the good old days.
I remember telling everyone how Pro-Tools was good because it would never crash.

Granted...I use plug-ins from NI, and others, and they are more than likely the problem....
but it just makes me wonder why it would take so long for different plug-in makers to update

We all want more features, but what good are features at the expense of stability?

In the future, I'd rather wait for bugs to get fixed before something is released...
and asking every plug-in maker to have to update, for what seems like minor changes seens like a bad idea.

Sounds like you are barking up the wrong tree... if you are actually having problems with NI plugs, then that is not Digidesign's problem... do you think the NI people read the DUC? Remove the plugins that are causing problems, and get back to work. There is more than one way to get the job done -- and many of us do great work without NI plugs (well, i use K2 and B4II no problems) -- but there are other plugs that are great, that aren't NI -- so complain to NI! Your words are wasted here.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Sounds like you are barking up the wrong tree... if you are actually having problems with NI plugs, then that is not Digidesign's problem... do you think the NI people read the DUC? Remove the plugins that are causing problems, and get back to work. There is more than one way to get the job done -- and many of us do great work without NI plugs (well, i use K2 and B4II no problems) -- but there are other plugs that are great, that aren't NI -- so complain to NI! Your words are wasted here.

Yeah, Jeremy's not having any problems, so shut up!....H
Old 04-02-2006, 02:35 PM

".....complain to NI! Your words are wasted here."

Yeah well this _IS_ partly a Digi problem.
From compatibility page (The problem is not just at low buffer sizes, it is most noticable with heavy RTAS use ie VI's)

Low Buffer Size/Multi-Processor Issues with Pro Tools 7 on Mac OS X

There is a known issue with low hardware buffer sizes and the multiprocessor RTAS engine of Pro Tools 7 (HD, LE, and M-Powered). Specifically at buffer sizes lower than 512, multiprocessor setups of Pro Tools can show a marked INCREASE in CPU utilization as you enable more processors. While dual processor models also exhibit this behavior somewhat, it is more noticeable with 3 or 4 processors enabled on the Power Mac Quad G5.

Digidesign is aware of the problem, and is actively working on the issue. We have run a number of tests, and while we continue to investigate a fix, our tests have turned up a few situations where this problem is likely to manifest, and a workaround for those scenarios.

At buffer sizes 512 and higher, we recommend you use the maximum number of processors. More processors will give you more cycles to run additional RTAS plug-ins and more tracks with little additional overhead from Pro Tools' management of additional processors.

We recommend the following setting for existing or new sessions that require lower buffer sizes:

1. In "Setup/Playback Engine" lower "RTAS Processors" to "2 Processors".
2. If you still see errors, one or more of the following will reduce the CPU utilization below the error threshold:
* Make some plug-ins inactive
* Make some tracks inactive
3. If errors still occur, follow the same instructions with one processor enabled

Once you are mixing, you may use all processors, and restore any inactive tracks/plug-ins. You can then increase the HW buffer size to 512 or higher to prevent errors.

We are fully engaged in this investigation and we will update our customers as we have more information.