Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 06-23-2020, 10:54 AM

Default Why do I hear both, guitar sim plugin and clean above it?

I have a problem. I have a guitar sim plugin and when I audition a preset, I hear both the preset and a clean tone above it. When I record the way it is, I just get the amp sim, just as I wanted. I just want to get rid of the clean tone when I audition and record. It's just a weird way of recording. I also Use a Universal Audio Apollo. I never had this problem before. I might of accidentally hit a setting.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-23-2020, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Why do I hear both, guitar sim plugin and clean above it?

What Plugin? What version of Pro Tools?

Look at your signal routing, we can't guess what you're doing. Is it a simple dry track with a plugin on it or something more complex? Or are you using sends to ship signal around?

Start with a trivial test session with one dry track and bung the amp sim plugin on it, confirm that work OK, then work out what you're doing wrong in your session.

Stuck beyond that you'll need to describe the plugins and routing, maybe show some PT mixer and Console screenshots, and describe what trouble shooting you have done etc.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:28 PM

Two possible reasons.

First, you may have mix setting less than 100% on your plugin, in which case it lets some pct of original sound through.

Second, you may have your original track on audio track and a send to your amp plugin aux, in which case your send should be pre fader and audio track muted to get 100% mix.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sricabla View Post
I have a problem. I have a guitar sim plugin and when I audition a preset, I hear both the preset and a clean tone above it. When I record the way it is, I just get the amp sim, just as I wanted. I just want to get rid of the clean tone when I audition and record. It's just a weird way of recording. I also Use a Universal Audio Apollo. I never had this problem before. I might of accidentally hit a setting.

Thanks in advance
Is the amp sim instantiated in Apollo Console so you’re hearing it there and you’re also hearing the clean signal through Pro Tools at the same time?
Old 06-24-2020, 10:08 AM

Thanks for your help!

PT ver. 19.6
OS 10.14
UA Apollo Twin X
Guitar sim- Neural Archtype (very good by the way)

Just hate having a clean tone on top of the guitar sim

Thanks in advance
Old 06-24-2020, 12:44 PM

So you are using Neural as an inserted plugin on the guitar channel in PT, yeah? And you're still hearing the direct clean sound when you play, but not when you playback what you've recorded?

Do you hear the clean sound through your UA even without arming the track in PT? If so, you may have "direct monitoring" switched on. Run your UA app "Console" to check for that.

This can also happen if your hardware responds to selecting low-latency monitoring in PT - but I don't know if the Apollo does.

Latency may be an issue with Neural once you get that DI sound muted... If so, you could look into using an onboard amp sim in the Apollo (even for monitoring only while still recording through the Neural in PT) because it has its own processors for plugs to help reduce latency. You'll need to experiment...

Last edited by _JJ_; 06-24-2020 at 01:39 PM.