Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2021, 01:35 AM

Default Re: Dante for Atmos

_

Are you guys running those separate Renderer computers with Dolby MASTERING Suite on it?

_
Old 03-29-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedd View Post
_

Are you guys running those separate Renderer computers with Dolby MASTERING Suite on it?

_

Both DAPS and DAMS will work. It is the same software.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Both DAPS and DAMS will work. It is the same software.
Wait? Are you saying that one doesn't need to have DAMS and could run DAPS instead on another computer?

So I have HDX2 on my MacPro 5.1 and I could route audio via Dante to second computer with Dante receiving 64 channels, in my case with MTRX Studio, and run DAPS on that computer and send the 64 channels back to MTRX Studio for monitoring?

If this is possible, would you mind sharing your set up/routing?

thanks LDS

_
Old 03-29-2021, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Wait? Are you saying that one doesn't need to have DAMS and could run DAPS instead on another computer?

So I have HDX2 on my MacPro 5.1 and I could route audio via Dante to second computer with Dante receiving 64 channels, in my case with MTRX Studio, and run DAPS on that computer and send the 64 channels back to MTRX Studio for monitoring?

If this is possible, would you mind sharing your set up/routing?

thanks LDS

_
Yep. DAMS and DAPS uses the same software installer (mac only, obviously). The license just unlocks some extra features. It even works with the network remote. Creating your own routing should be pretty straight forward. I usually work backwards.

- in DADman, create a monitoring source for Dante inputs 1-12, or however many channels of speakers you are running. I call I call the source renderer.
- assign digilink inputs 1-64 to Dante outputs 1-64.

In DAPS on the renderer computer.
- set LTC input to 64 in preferences.
- set up your input configuration. Personally, I like 4x 7.1.2 beds, plus 23 objects.
- launch DVS, setting it to 64 channel mode.
- assign DVS as the input and output of the renderer.

In Dante Controller
- route 1-12 of your DVS interface ‘transmit’ to Dante receive 1-12 of your MTRX.
- route the MTRX Dante transmit 1-64 to DVS receive 1-64.

Then in pro Tools use the ‘import Dolby Atmos configure in the I/O menu, and create a channel routed to output 64/LTC with the Dolby LTC plugin installed.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:15 AM

Nice! Thank you LDS for sharing!!

few more questions:

_You are now using HDX/HDN as your playback engine? with Dolby Send/Return plug ins? Delay compensation works properly?

_On your renderer computer, are you using Focusrite RedNet PCIe card?

thanx!

Old 03-30-2021, 01:45 AM

Quote:

Nice! Thank you LDS for sharing!!

few more questions:

_You are now using HDX/HDN as your playback engine? with Dolby Send/Return plug ins? Delay compensation works properly?

_On your renderer computer, are you using Focusrite RedNet PCIe card?

thanx!

I currently am using it with a HD native card as the playback engine in pro tools. I have HDX1, but it is too limited in voice count to do much with Atmos. HDX2 would be ideal.

No send and return plugins here. The routing more closely reflects the Dolby Audio Bridge, but instead of 128 virtual outputs, I am using 64 physical outputs via my HD native card and DX32R (digital only version of DAD AX32). Delay compensation works great, though it’s a good idea to ensure your video/audio sync is aligned when monitoring straight off the renderer.

No Rednet PCIe here. Just the Dante virtual sound card. Works really well. It is limited to 64 channels though.
Old 03-30-2021, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
I currently am using it with a HD native card as the playback engine in pro tools. I have HDX1, but it is too limited in voice count to do much with Atmos. HDX2 would be ideal.

No send and return plugins here. The routing more closely reflects the Dolby Audio Bridge, but instead of 128 virtual outputs, I am using 64 physical outputs via my HD native card and DX32R (digital only version of DAD AX32). Delay compensation works great, though it’s a good idea to ensure your video/audio sync is aligned when monitoring straight off the renderer.

No Rednet PCIe here. Just the Dante virtual sound card. Works really well. It is limited to 64 channels though.

Thanx, that's clear now. I will try it with my MBP as renderer and maybe also try it om M1 Mac mini!?