Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2022, 06:31 AM

Default Best way to connect HD IO to new Mac Pro rackmount?

Hi. I am moving from Windows to Mac. I currently have HD Native PCIe card and HD IO. What's the best way to connect my Avid HD IO to a new Mac Pro? Would my PCIe card also work in the Mac Pro? If so, is there an advantage to running Thunderbolt instead? And finally, is there a way to run Thunderbolt in the rack chassis?

Last edited by snowplaysmusic; 08-22-2022 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-22-2022, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Best way to connect HD IO to new Mac Pro rackmount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowplaysmusic View Post
Hi. I am moving from Windows to Mac. I currently have HD Native PCIe card and HD IO. What's the best way to connect my Avid HD IO to a new Mac Pro? Would my PCIe card also work in the Mac Pro? If so, is there an advantage to running Thunderbolt instead? And finally, is there a way to run Thunderbolt in the rack chassis?
#1-I thought the new Mac Pro had PCIe slots inside? Can't you install your HDN card in the computer(that would be the easiest solution)
#2-installing the card in a TB chassis is the next option(or sell/trade for an HDN TB box)
#3-yes, there are approved TB chassis' and maybe some of the Mac users here will offer up some specific options that are known to work

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-22-2022, 10:02 AM

You install the card inside the Mac Pro, there is nothing but downside to going to a Thunderbolt chassis. Not sure why you would ever want to do that if you have PCIe slots free.

Why are you buying an Intel Mac Pro now when they are going to be end of lifed by the new Apple silicon based Mac Pro? If you are just frustrated by Windows as your other post implies and want to switch to a Mac, I would NOT be buying an Intel based Mac Pro now.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 08-22-2022 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-22-2022, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You install the card inside the Mac Pro, there is nothing but downside to going to a Thunderbolt chassis. Not sure why you would ever want to do that if you have PCIe slots free.

Why are you buying an Intel Mac Pro now when they are going to be end of lifed by the new Apple silicon based Mac Pro? If you are just frustrated by Windows as your other post implies and want to switch to a Mac, I would NOT be buying an Intel based Mac Pro now.
This^^^ is great advice for anyone thinking of moving to Mac

Old 08-22-2022, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

You're right. I've just been so devastated by my pro audio problems the past few years. I can't imagine selling my Windows machine and having the studio being silent for 3/6/12 months (or however long it takes Apple to come out with an M2 Pro). This is my life, and if that's the case, what do I have to live for? But you're right, this is the worst time to buy, or build a temporary stop-gap. I'm going to sell my Windows, and will just have to keep the studio dark and silent. I'm going to buy a typewriter and write until the M2 comes out. It's devastating to lose such a big piece of my life and spirit but I am thankful God allows me a creative outlet of writing while my highest creative destiny is on pause. Some people are wheel-chair bound, or a metal rod falls out a car in front of them, goes through their brain, and damages their pre-frontal cortex. To not be able to release my record at age 35 is just not a big deal. And a $239 typewriter is a cheap bridge until the silicon. Thank you for your help, my DUC friend. You give me hope.
Old 08-23-2022, 09:41 AM

I get that you are frustrated, but giving up and stopping anything you enjoy doing is just plain silly. You could;
Buy the new Mac Studio right now(and its a power house),

Or fix your PC(which we know nothing about, so why not post a Sisoft Sandra Lite report),

Or buy a PC that is known to work well with Pro Tools. There are a few companies building computers with just that in mind, but a more budget-friendly option is a used(and Avid-approved) workstation like the HP z820. I bought one of these 4 years ago with the following specs: dual 6-core XEON cpu's @3.5GHz, 64GB RAM, nVidia Quadro 600 graphics, 500GB SSD, DVD-RW and the whole thing was under $1200 shipped to my door. I stuffed in my HD/Native card, recording drive and samples drive and put it to work 7 days a week for the next 2 years. Its still in service for the folks that bought me out.