Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2022, 04:24 PM

Default Re: WINDOWS10 w/Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
OK, here's a way to use your USB port to create an AVB Ethernet network connection. (RME Digiface AVB)

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...l-digiface-avb

I have no idea if this will work with Carbon and Windows, and it's very expensive, but RME are pretty good at making stuff work together. You could ask in their forums. https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=34949

Part of the problem is that AVB is not one standard but many, and it's not always clear which ones are needed or supported on any given OS, Ethernet port and device. Everything needs to line up for it to work properly.

Dominic
Avid states that Carbon uses a proprietary version of AVB to stream audio. I’m not exactly sure what that means, but it may not play well with the RME.

System Details
Old 08-31-2022, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
Avid states that Carbon uses a proprietary version of AVB to stream audio. I’m not exactly sure what that means, but it may not play well with the RME.
This is probably splitting hairs but, well, I'm killing time in an airport lounge. The AVB protocol itself is not proprietary (after all, you can use Carbon as a CoreAudio device using the drivers builtin to macOS). Rather the control channel that Pro Tools uses to configure and route to the DSPs is proprietary, and would be expected to be the same endpoint as the AVB device itself. So yes, an third-party AVB interface is not going to work.
Old 08-31-2022, 04:36 PM

^^ exactly, beat me to it.
Old 11-12-2023, 10:49 AM

Bumping this to request Windows compatibility

Can we not get a TB version of Carbon?
I'd go with RME were it not for the crazy hoops you have to jump through for punch ins with a non avid interface!
Old 11-15-2023, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shobud10 View Post
Bumping this to request Windows compatibility

Can we not get a TB version of Carbon?
I'd go with RME were it not for the crazy hoops you have to jump through for punch ins with a non avid interface!
I'd vote for a Carbon II thunderbolt interface with Windows 10 support too.

My Omni interface is still working but beginning to get old.

Having 4 pres and 4 hp outs with MTXR Studio sound quality would be great.
Ideally there would be separate physical knobs for each pre's and HP outs.

Multifunction knobs for the pre's and hp's like today is a bit awkward if I quickly have to individually change level.
I don't want to have to toggle through the multifunction button for this.
Old 11-23-2023, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post
I'd vote for a Carbon II thunderbolt interface with Windows 10 support too.
I obviously do not know what the ratio of Windows to Mac Pro Tools users is But I would think that would be popular for some windows users wanting to get into the HDX DSP Hybrid situation

Quote:
Having 4 pres and 4 hp outs with MTXR Studio sound quality would be great.
Ideally there would be separate physical knobs for each pre's and HP outs.
I am not clear what you mean the Carbon has 8 analog Pre's and 8 converters and yes 4 HP outs ??? In any case I don't know anything about the MTRX Studio sound quality but having owned both an Omni and now the Carbon, I think the Carbon is a noticeable step up in sound--- Pre's and conversion ..

Quote:
Multifunction knobs for the pre's and hp's like today is a bit awkward if I quickly have to individually change level.
IMO the mic pre level multi function knob on the Carbon is as not awkward as the Pre encoder on the Omni

While initially I myself thought I would have preferred separate level knobs for the pres. But honestly in thinking about it, 8 level knobs would take up a lot of space AND since all it takes to toggle is to just press on the knob (the number of times to go to the right and up the numbers) (or roll the knob clockwise or counter clockwise) to go back and forth to the pre's --- I would guess time wise, is not really much different than moving your hand back and forth to physical knobs YMMV

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 11-23-2023 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-28-2023, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdee View Post

You dont need to use the knob on the interface at all. This is controllable from right inside pro tools.

The only thing you cant do (yet) is adjust the HP and Monitor volumes. Everything else from gain to switching line/mic/inst can be done in software.
Old 11-29-2023, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightamrock View Post
You dont need to use the knob on the interface at all. This is controllable from right inside pro tools.

The only thing you cant do (yet) is adjust the HP and Monitor volumes. Everything else from gain to switching line/mic/inst can be done in software.
True that I forgot about that, because I have not really used that function much , except for ocassionally the phantom power before I got my AEA mic pre. I will give more attention on future sessions.
Is that in PT Studio as well as Ultimate ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 12-04-2023, 06:25 AM

Given the high audio quality and benefits of using Carbon on Mac it would seem to make more sense for someone considering Carbon to additionally invest in at least an M2 Mac Mini to have a supported, working, reliable system. Carbon is not a cheap toy and Carbon Expanded has been great. Trying to get it to work over USB on Windows seems counter productive and I can't imagine Avid's target market for Carbon would be going in that direction. Also sounds like a Support nightmare. I think the next closest option to Carbon would be MTRX Studio with the Thunderbolt 3 daughter card.