Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2022, 11:15 AM

Default Re: New PT Prefs helper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S. View Post
Is there any reason why a restored preference file might not be as good as just manually re-entering the preferences? I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to computers, I still don’t understand technically why preferences have to be trashed periodically or why the ProTools app itself can’t be made to handle this itself. But I know that when I stop trashing preferences weird problems eventually pop up. I’ve always manually reentered preferences myself but thought it would be cool if I could do it with a touch of a button within the ProTools helper app.
Restoring preference files from the same version of ProTools isn't typically such an issue, it's when PT goes through a more significant update that things can get slippery. I suspect that the reason is that the parameters within the preference file change, which can be confusing to certain versions of ProTools.

Imagine importing a pref file from a newer version of PT which might contain a parameter for setting the default level of sends. If you place that file into an older version of PT, there's data for the default send which that particular version of PT won't recognize. Parameters don't match up. Obviously, this is an oversimplified explanation, but you get the drift.

And this is the reason why (in my experience) it's best to recreate preference files from scratch. Anomalies and corruption are simply less likely to exist. In my company's experience, PT has operated more swiftly and with fewer issues when prefs were created from scratch.
Old 09-06-2022, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
Restoring preference files from the same version of ProTools isn't typically such an issue, it's when PT goes through a more significant update that things can get slippery. I suspect that the reason is that the parameters within the preference file change, which can be confusing to certain versions of ProTools.

Imagine importing a pref file from a newer version of PT which might contain a parameter for setting the default level of sends. If you place that file into an older version of PT, there's data for the default send which that particular version of PT won't recognize. Parameters don't match up. Obviously, this is an oversimplified explanation, but you get the drift.

And this is the reason why (in my experience) it's best to recreate preference files from scratch. Anomalies and corruption are simply less likely to exist. In my company's experience, PT has operated more swiftly and with fewer issues when prefs were created from scratch.
That makes sense, good info, thank you.

Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 / OSX Monterey 12.6.2
Avid HD Omni / HD IO 8x8x8 / HDX Sonnet Echo Express 3
iMac Pro 3GHz, 10 Core, 64 GB
Old 09-06-2022, 12:29 PM

Thanks for doing this Pete!

You are a STAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Gates View Post
PT Prefs 2 Beta 1

Right... here's a long awaited beta of a complete rewrite of PT Prefs:

It's a Universal Binary, so runs natively on Intel & ARM64
It requires macOS 10.10 Yosemite minimum
Plugin reporting now only reports active plugins
Plugin reporting now only reports AAX plugins
Plugin reporting now reports plugin architecture - Intel/ARM/Universal
Plugin reporting can now export an Excel of the installed AAX plugins
The main window is resizable - for the plugin list
It only supports 64 bit Pro Tools installations now

It's scarily different & simplified. Extra options, such as individual trashing/restoring, will appear when everything is working reliably (it is here, but that never means much!). The idea now when you trash preferences is that a backup is made first then preferences are trashed. In the restore page you can select from the backup snapshots.

Get back to me with problems, this is beta software so take care, though the worst that should ever happen is trashed preferences!

Pete

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-18-2022, 06:47 PM

Something wrong with the App Icon? I just get the finder's missing icon for it.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 6.46.54 PM.png (24.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-19-2022, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogboy100 View Post
Something wrong with the App Icon? I just get the finder's missing icon for it.
I blame recent MacOS. I have seen that on my 12.x setup. Multiple apps, seems to go away after I load an app once or twice.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 09-20-2022, 12:26 AM

The icon is missing at it's only a beta and I haven't yet "flattened" the look of the previous icon. I'll get this done in the next week or two when I release Beta 2.

Cheers,
Pete
Old 09-22-2022, 01:59 PM

Beta 2 is available.

Pete

Last edited by Pete Gates; 12-05-2022 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-22-2022, 06:58 PM

That was fast. Thx Pete!
Old 10-04-2022, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Gates View Post
PT Prefs 2 Beta 2

Beta 2 is available.

Pete
Nice!!
Old 10-05-2022, 01:01 AM

Beta 3 is available.

Pete

Last edited by Pete Gates; 12-05-2022 at 11:26 AM.