Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 09-13-2022, 03:24 PM

Default Re: QUESTION: New iMac5K and OS for PT 2022

Sorry guys, all my posts seem held up, making this a difficult conversation :-(

I appreciate the replies.!
Old 09-13-2022, 03:27 PM

(Hey, my last reply just showed up quickly so...)

"And yes thermal throttling is a thing,"

Does that suggest an i7 8 core would be any better and an i9 8 core? (less likely to throttle?)

Also, a repeat of an earlier question:

I note on the AVID compatibility page it mentions specs for the 2019 imac:

2019 Retina 5K 27" iMac19,1 8-Core i9 'Coffee Lake' 3.6 GHz w/Radeon Pro Vega 48

The imac spec'd for me has a 3.0 GHz processor. Would there be any issue with this?
Old 09-13-2022, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
(Hey, my last reply just showed up quickly so...)

"And yes thermal throttling is a thing,"

Does that suggest an i7 8 core would be any better and an i9 8 core? (less likely to throttle?)
No. i7 and i9 are just Intel marketing names.

A faster clock rate fewer core CPU might beat a slightly slower more core CPU. Or visa versa. All workload and details dependent.

A CPU with more cores might be more prone to throttling. All workload and details dependent.

Who knows exactly what you are doing, Or say how hot your room the computer is running in is. Stuff that even if somebody had a strong opinion about you should probably ignore. The only way for you to get really useful answers for questions like this is for you to run the tests yourself with your workload. Which is why I've emphasized making sure you can return the Mac (and pay attention to how long you have to do that).

And CPU performance is why you are looking to upgrade? Your current system is not I/O or memory constrained? When you run out of CPU what AAE error do you get?? Have you spend time on trying to optimized/troubleshoot that error?

Quote:
2019 Retina 5K 27" iMac19,1 8-Core i9 'Coffee Lake' 3.6 GHz w/Radeon Pro Vega 48

The imac spec'd for me has a 3.0 GHz processor. Would there be any issue with this?
Avid qualifies a small subsection of computers. A mac not being on the qualified list does not mean it won't work. And Avid qualifies such a small fraction of Macs it's a pretty useless thing. I would not even bother looking at the qualified list myself.

Nobody here can tell you there won't be "any issue" with any computer you select. We don't have the first clue what issues you are having now that are causing you to want to upgrade. We don't even have clear specs of the computer you have now. A 3.6 GHz processor will be slightly faster than a 3.0 GHz processor for some things, less than the 20% clock rate increase implies. Other than that, nobody can provide you with any assurance.
Old 09-13-2022, 05:00 PM

Understood.

Thanks very much for taking the time for your replies Darryl (and others)!

I think I have enough info to go on now. (And yes, I'll have to see how things go).

Cheers!