Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 07-26-2022, 05:28 PM

Default Multiple VI live performance?

As the title suggests I am trying to incorporate multiple Virtual Instruments into a live performance. Yes I know there are other daws probably better suited for this application but my rig so far runs backtracks and a click without flaws.

I would like to use my controllers, Roland SPDSX, AKAI MPD 128, and Komplete Kontrol S61 to play multiple VIs. I already have multi banks and multiple instruments setup in Kontakt with program changes automated but how do I play the instruments without having to arm any tracks? Is there a work around?
Old 07-26-2022, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Multiple VI live performance?

Hi Welcome to DUC.

Quote:
... how do I play the instruments without having to arm any tracks?
You don't, the tracks need to be armed to receive MIDI for the VI.

There are other DAWs probably better suited for this application.

More importantly there are real-time performance apps better suited for this application. Like NI Kontakt (!), Ableton Live (OK a DAW as well), LiveProfessor, GigPerformer, MainStage, and others.
Old 08-01-2022, 06:42 PM

Default Re: Multiple VI live performance?

The best I found for this is Reason. In Reason standalone mode you can load in whatever VI's you want in VST mode into the rack. Then you can assign each VI (Or VI stack if you use their Combinator), to its own unique MIDI channel.

When I did this at my Church, they had the Yamaha MOXF which I used as the Controller. With the MIDI via USB hooked up to it, I could easily program the MOXF in Performance mode to assign MIDI channels, splits, etc. Then, during performance, I only had to switch from Perf 1 to 2 to 3, etc to get whatever VI's/sounds I had pre-set in Reason.

And if you set it up correctly in Reason, you don't have to record arm anything. Its perfect for this.

And you could use Reason to host your Kontakt stuff as well. I found that using it this way made things really easy.
Also, I believe you can setup Kontakt in standalone mode, so you shouldn't need to record arm anything. Then just assign the MIDI input channel to trigger whichever Kontakt instrument you wish to play. I know I can do that with Omnishere and Falcon.