Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-17-2022, 10:52 PM
HalfPastMidnight HalfPastMidnight is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 20
Default Re: Advice On Mac OS update from 10.15.7 --- or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarnutz View Post
Due to basically starting over anyhow I went ahead and installed Monterey, updated to 12.5, clean install and importing my 100Gb iTunes library to Music in order to make sure I got all my audio drivers working within the OS. That's an Antelope Audio Zen+ for the time being which is a TB2 device. Downloading all the PT 2022.7 stuff now and it's a bunch. If I run into any issues I'll report back. I'm on mid-2015 Retina MacBook Pro with i7/512Gb flash/16Gb ram, last compatible MacPro qualified for Monterey. I actually had been running Monterey on a small partition for email, surfing & such with no issues.
Thank you. I was on the same mid-2015 Retina for a long time too, and just did a fresh install of Monterey on it. That computer was retired a little while ago but I kept it, and long story short, it's not with me at the moment, but maybe when I get it back I'll put Big Sur or Monterey on it and see how it does with Pro Tools before I make a commitment to update the current recording computer's OS. Spent a week getting backups automated and learning a bunch I didn't know before about Macs, etc. To be continued whenever I make the switch
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-18-2022, 01:38 PM
digiot digiot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: NYC,NY
Posts: 387
Default Re: Advice On Mac OS update from 10.15.7 --- or not

I am currently running the same machine as the OP (2019 MBP i9) with Catalina.
Latest version of Ultimate and a Avid Carbon. I have been holding off for fear of loosing/breaking something in the update to OS11/12. The only thing that I feel left out with is not being able to run the latest version of Logic and FCP. I have since transitioned from FCP to DaVinci and for the first time in about 30 years I'm not up to date with Logic (Been running Logic/Notator since the days of the Atari-ST).
The system is rock solid and does everything I need it to do. But I have a bad case of FOMO
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-18-2022, 02:00 PM
dominicperry dominicperry is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 488
Default Re: Advice On Mac OS update from 10.15.7 --- or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiot View Post
I am currently running the same machine as the OP (2019 MBP i9) with Catalina.
Latest version of Ultimate and a Avid Carbon. I have been holding off for fear of loosing/breaking something in the update to OS11/12. The only thing that I feel left out with is not being able to run the latest version of Logic and FCP. I have since transitioned from FCP to DaVinci and for the first time in about 30 years I'm not up to date with Logic (Been running Logic/Notator since the days of the Atari-ST).
The system is rock solid and does everything I need it to do. But I have a bad case of FOMO
You are missing nothing except security improvements.
There is Sidecar, but it doesn't work very well - I wouldn't want to use it while doing anything important.
More emojis. A different typeface. Notifications are slightly different. Icons in the menu bar are slightly different......

I use both, and really don't care which is which.

Dominic
__________________
MacBookPro M1Max 16" 10/32 64GB 2TB, Monterey 12.6, Pro Tools 2022.9, Carbon.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-18-2022, 07:54 PM
Sugarnutz Sugarnutz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Great State of Mississippi
Posts: 866
Default Re: Advice On Mac OS update from 10.15.7 --- or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPastMidnight View Post
Thank you. I was on the same mid-2015 Retina for a long time too, and just did a fresh install of Monterey on it. That computer was retired a little while ago but I kept it, and long story short, it's not with me at the moment, but maybe when I get it back I'll put Big Sur or Monterey on it and see how it does with Pro Tools before I make a commitment to update the current recording computer's OS. Spent a week getting backups automated and learning a bunch I didn't know before about Macs, etc. To be continued whenever I make the switch
Here's the current Pro Tools Low Roar demo session running at 64 buffer on that 2015 rMBP:


__________________
Gigabyte z390 Designare
I9 990K 4.7 GHz
64 Gb of DDR4 3200
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-21-2022, 04:19 PM
HalfPastMidnight HalfPastMidnight is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 20
Default Re: Advice On Mac OS update from 10.15.7 --- or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarnutz View Post
Here's the current Pro Tools Low Roar demo session running at 64 buffer on that 2015 rMBP:


Thanks for this. To add another layer to the discussion while keeping my reply really short, your post and image gives me hope! I was seriously wondering what I was going to do at all with my mid-2015 rMBP (identical specs as yours) with so little monetary value remaining but not wanting to see it go to the landfill. It had the battery issue that Apple issued the recall on, so I just received it back with a completely new/replaced top case, keyboard, trackpad, and battery. Still trade-in value is $200 with Apple and $215 with OWC, both to be expected. I switched over leaving Mojave on the 2015 but since I never updated to the TB3 card in my UA stuff (and was using adapters), maybe the easiest thing in the world I could do would be to install Big Sur or even Monterey on my old rMBP and use it as my test guinea pig.

On another note, monetary value means nothing if something is functional. I upgraded computers when I started getting into video but for Pro Tools, I'm not running live tracking sessions nor using huge amounts of plugins or VIs and don't use sample libraries. Pretty much I record myself and, at most, program drums. There may yet be more Pro Tools life in the 2015 machine!!

Thanks very much for your input.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-21-2022, 04:30 PM
HalfPastMidnight HalfPastMidnight is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 20
Default Re: Advice On Mac OS update from 10.15.7 --- or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiot View Post
I am currently running the same machine as the OP (2019 MBP i9) with Catalina.
Latest version of Ultimate and a Avid Carbon. I have been holding off for fear of loosing/breaking something in the update to OS11/12. The only thing that I feel left out with is not being able to run the latest version of Logic and FCP. I have since transitioned from FCP to DaVinci and for the first time in about 30 years I'm not up to date with Logic (Been running Logic/Notator since the days of the Atari-ST).
The system is rock solid and does everything I need it to do. But I have a bad case of FOMO
I held out as long as I could too (and have still lagged behind, currently remaining on Catalina on the system I began this thread about), and only reluctantly and begrudgingly went to Big Sur this week on the video computer, only because min. system requirements for DaVinci 18 require it (that, and updating the camera software). I may sound like an old man but I just do not like the UI of Big Sur and loathe that it feels and looks like a phone. Someone told me Monterey takes that direction even further. It was such a pain, at one point in the process, I literally had the thought "there are only so many operating systems I will have to update within my lifetime." It's always a huge amount of stress for me and the ever-shifting min. system requirements to stay current eventually force me into it, but perhaps at some point I will just stop and elect to embrace staying behind as technology moves on. I get that for many people it is easy and even looked forward to. To be fair, certainly my personal bias shapes my (probably unreasonable) feeling and (admittedly a bit negative) outlook about it. Fractals and Kempers still aren't vintage tweed or JMI-era AC-30s, Geeshie Wiley and Charley Patton didn't use computers, and Larry Carlton played the Kid Charlemagne solos onto tape during a day's work in the studio. But of course the world moved on. We have so much more now, and so much less of it moves me at all. That's my bias and what certainly makes me sound like an old man, but I don't care, when I read a good Steve Lukather rant, I never feel alone for however flawed I am for it. Jimi didn't need the latest macOS!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-24-2022, 09:39 AM
digiot digiot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: NYC,NY
Posts: 387
Default Re: Advice On Mac OS update from 10.15.7 --- or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPastMidnight View Post
I held out as long as I could too (and have still lagged behind, currently remaining on Catalina on the system I began this thread about), and only reluctantly and begrudgingly went to Big Sur this week on the video computer, only because min. system requirements for DaVinci 18 require it (that, and updating the camera software). I may sound like an old man but I just do not like the UI of Big Sur and loathe that it feels and looks like a phone. Someone told me Monterey takes that direction even further. It was such a pain, at one point in the process, I literally had the thought "there are only so many operating systems I will have to update within my lifetime." It's always a huge amount of stress for me and the ever-shifting min. system requirements to stay current eventually force me into it, but perhaps at some point I will just stop and elect to embrace staying behind as technology moves on. I get that for many people it is easy and even looked forward to. To be fair, certainly my personal bias shapes my (probably unreasonable) feeling and (admittedly a bit negative) outlook about it. Fractals and Kempers still aren't vintage tweed or JMI-era AC-30s, Geeshie Wiley and Charley Patton didn't use computers, and Larry Carlton played the Kid Charlemagne solos onto tape during a day's work in the studio. But of course the world moved on. We have so much more now, and so much less of it moves me at all. That's my bias and what certainly makes me sound like an old man, but I don't care, when I read a good Steve Lukather rant, I never feel alone for however flawed I am for it. Jimi didn't need the latest macOS!!!!
Haha no worries I'm an old man too lol.
So I just got a request from a client to do a session in Logic 10.7.x for composition then transfer to Protools for mix. So I might have to do the upgrade anyway. Now my biggest question is do I go BigSur (minimum to run Logic 10.7) or just go straight to Monterey !?

MBP 2019 i9 10.15.7, Avid Carbon,Protools Ultimate, Logic 10.6.x
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-24-2022, 02:58 PM
HalfPastMidnight HalfPastMidnight is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 20
Default Re: Advice On Mac OS update from 10.15.7 --- or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiot View Post
Haha no worries I'm an old man too lol.
So I just got a request from a client to do a session in Logic 10.7.x for composition then transfer to Protools for mix. So I might have to do the upgrade anyway. Now my biggest question is do I go BigSur (minimum to run Logic 10.7) or just go straight to Monterey !?

MBP 2019 i9 10.15.7, Avid Carbon,Protools Ultimate, Logic 10.6.x
Take this with a huge grain of salt because I am not a computer expert like other people certainly are on the forums so I can't really offer any advice of meaning for which way you should go or not. My requirement to go to Big Sur was video-based on a second machine. Nothing broke. I didn't have any nightmares or horror stories. Probably should have/could have done a clean install but in in the end took the path of least resistance. And when I finally got onto Big Sur....I didn't like it as much. It immediately felt more like iOS down to the "Do Not Disturb" mode on the pull-down menu. I posted something about that on BlackMagic Design forums and heard back that Monterey continues the trend to feel even more iOS-like. That said, I'm sure I'll get used to it.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-27-2022, 12:00 AM
Sugarnutz Sugarnutz is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Great State of Mississippi
Posts: 866
Default Re: Advice On Mac OS update from 10.15.7 --- or not

Since posting last I had a situation where I needed to run Cubase Pro 9.5 to exchange a session with a guitarist friend in Nashville. I tried Cubase Pro 9.5 on Monterey and it sucked monkey nutz big time so I bought an external NVMe to USB 3.0 adapter and a cheap 500Gb NVMe drive to install Mojave on, worked like a champ. Might be an option to retain an older MacOS for software compatibility.
__________________
Gigabyte z390 Designare
I9 990K 4.7 GHz
64 Gb of DDR4 3200
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice: looking to update system Serip General Discussion 3 11-17-2011 10:58 AM
Advice for update to system...? Clarke Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 3 03-10-2011 05:33 AM
Need advice on update Vashta Nerada 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 11 02-28-2011 06:56 AM
Need new update advice 8.0.3 cs1 flautista 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 11 01-22-2010 12:26 AM
seeking advice on update, 6.4 to 7.? guy.fi 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 4 07-01-2008 01:58 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:02 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com