Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2009, 01:54 PM

Default 002 Rack not showing as option in windows control panel (sound settings)

I'm trying to set my windows sound settings so I can use the Digi 002(PT LE 8) for playback through windows. It seems there is no option listed under the sound settings...

Is there a way to enable this? a driver I need to get? an update or fix? Currently I have been plugging my laptop output into the "alt src" input and using my 002 that way to workaround the problem, but I would like to not have to do this... Ive seen other systems like the HD ones having the option to select it as a sound device in windows control panel sound settings.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
JayP
Old 12-08-2009, 02:01 PM

Default Re: 002 Rack not showing as option in windows control panel (sound settings)

There's the Wavedriver here:

http://archive.digidesign.com/download/wave/

It's supposed to allow you to play Windows media through a Digi device, but it's anyone's guess as to whether or not it will work. I've never gotten it to work with the 003 Rack+. Good luck!

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB

Last edited by cwsand; 12-08-2009 at 02:01 PM. Reason: I felt like it!
Old 12-08-2009, 02:09 PM

Default Re: 002 Rack not showing as option in windows control panel (sound settings)

That wavedriver (MME Helper) only works with XP and you didn't specify if you're on XP or Vista. Best bet is to use on-board soundcard for non-Pro Tools sounds and use the 002 as it was intended.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:21 PM

Yes I am on XP w/ SP 3.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
That wavedriver (MME Helper) only works with XP and you didn't specify if you're on XP or Vista. Best bet is to use on-board soundcard for non-Pro Tools sounds and use the 002 as it was intended.
Why would I use the on board sound card when its possible to use the 002 for playback through my monitors? If I was to use the sound card I would either have to use headphones listening from my laptop output, or plug my laptop output into the alternate source input on the 002.... it just doesn't seem to make any sense why you should have to do that when there is a solution for this problem(im just unaware how to find the solution)

Here's some pictures to help. (should I be able to select digi 002?)
http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/1998/playback1.jpg
http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/8007/playback2.jpg

I will try the wavedrivers when I get home. Hopefully this works?
Old 12-08-2009, 02:32 PM

Because Digi didn't intend for that 002 to be a "soundcard." It's a Pro Tools interface. Anything else that does work thru it is either courtesy or just plain luck. AND no matter WHAT you do, you won't get I-tunes or Quicktime playback thru it. Plus, the wavedriver is SINGLE client, which means only one program at a time can access it. That means, for instance, if you go on the web and try to get internet audio thru it, your browser will access the wavedriver and probably not let any OTHER web audio thru it. Trust me on this one. That laptop output into the alt input on your 002 is absolutely the hands-down preferred method for getting non-PT audio to your main monitors.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:53 PM

Bleh, that is lame. I guess I will continue to use the method I have been.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:54 PM

Why is it lame? One patch cable, you want reliable non PT audio, all you have to do is push a button. Seems pretty straightforward to me!
Old 12-08-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
Because Digi didn't intend for that 002 to be a "soundcard." It's a Pro Tools interface. Anything else that does work thru it is either courtesy or just plain luck. AND no matter WHAT you do, you won't get I-tunes or Quicktime playback thru it. Plus, the wavedriver is SINGLE client, which means only one program at a time can access it. That means, for instance, if you go on the web and try to get internet audio thru it, your browser will access the wavedriver and probably not let any OTHER web audio thru it. Trust me on this one. That laptop output into the alt input on your 002 is absolutely the hands-down preferred method for getting non-PT audio to your main monitors.
+1

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 12-08-2009, 04:14 PM

What's lame for me is that the analog out on my Gigabyte board is extremely noisy. I'm either going to have to get a digital/analog converter and come out of the s/pdif out to the Aux In on the 003, or buy a new sound card - but none of this is Digi's fault. An additional s/pdif In for the Aux In would be nice though!

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB